1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bisexual and hiding

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Krs Tea, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Krs Tea

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So I'm sorry if something like this has been asked before or a similar topic has been posted.

I am in a long term relationship (6 years) with a guy I met in high school and we are probably going to get married. Well about two years ago I came to terms that I am bisexual. Well like I said I met my boyfriend when I was very young and so I have never been with anyone with him and well while I started to come out in college I usually got the well you've never been with a woman you just want attention. My boyfriend was supportive. The thing is no one in my family or out of college knows that I am bisexual. I was told once why would you ever want to tell them. My response was "Why would I ever want to hide who I am". The thing is when I mentioned it to my boyfriend about coming out to my family he told me he didn't see a point in it since we are committed. From what I've read online when I tried to google the topic was the same thing.

My question is is it worth it to come out?

I feel so silly I am a grown woman with a great job who is strong and independent but I'm terrified to tell my parents this but at the same time feel like it could help my family and me....I just don't know. Does anyone have any advice?

2. lucky516

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you shouldn't have to hide who you are for other people. If you feel its worth it then you should come out. Just remember you have a lot of loving people who love and support you! such as you boyfriend!

3. thrnvlpidj

How could it help your family?

4. Krs Tea

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well my parents will say things that are offensive to me about gay and bisexual people. While they are never rude to lgbt people they say things that are just hurtful to me. They don't know so when i get huffy they don't understand. Perhaps it is selfish of me but I belive it could help our relationship and maybe help some prejudices they have. I really have been struggling with this for a long time of whether I should come out to people or not. It is selfish to put people through those emotions to keep a few comments at bay. i don't know I guess I am just trying to get some input and stuff.

5. crazydiamond

If it bothers you to not tell people, then do whatever feels right. I realized I was bisexual when I was with my ex boyfriend, but I never came out to family because I have a really judgmental family and if I stayed with a man for the rest of my life, it would be irrelevent. But when we broke up and I started dating a woman, it makes sense to me to come out now (I'm working up to it). Again, that doesn't mean it's the best option. It's just what I'm doing.

Honestly, I think that it should stop being such a huge deal who someone wants to date. If you date a man or a woman, it should just be accepted. There shouldn't have to be any mandatory explanation.