1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trans: coming out letter draft

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RalphHenry, Jan 13, 2015.

1. RalphHenry

RalphHenry Guest

I made a post about this last night, but I quickly made a basic draft this morning. I couldn't stop thinking about it, so I had to get up and write something down. Let me know what you think.

Dear mom,
I doubt this will come as a tremendous shock due to certain hobbies, likes/dislikes, clothing choices, and physical appearance. I want you to know that I love you and I’m not doing this to make things harder for you. I’ve felt this way since starting middle school, but didn’t know what it was until a couple months ago. I feel like I should be a boy.
    I will still be the exact same person, but I’ll only look like my male twin brother.

Nothing about my personality will change. I want to quickly explain the situation with my hair. Remember the night before I made the appointment? It was super long and I was begging you to take to cut it to a pixie. I almost seemed hysterical. Well, that’s a little thing called dysphoria. I explain it as discomfort towards some part of you that doesn’t match with your idea of yourself in your head.

I don’t want to get into it too much. I don’t want to overload you with information and confuse you. I just want to let you know that when you’re ready I am willing to have a conversation to answer any questions you might have. I’ve done some research and found a couple articles and videos that might be a little more technical than me if you want to see them.

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think its good.

(*hug*)

Good luck.

3. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I think this is a good letter BECAUSE it is short and to the point. I think that the problem with a lot of these letters is that we try to compress into one letter every thought that we have had about discerning our sexuality and the coming out process. Either your mother already suspects, and this will just be the other shoe dropping, in which case you don't need to say a lot in the first letter or chat; or she doesn't have a clue despite all the evidence, and she will be in so much shock that more information will just confuse her. Remember that the first contact (letter or chat) is just to get that basic message out, to come out. And then there will be lots of opportunities to continue that discussion, especially if she is open to having that discussion. I think this is a great starting point. I wish you courage and good luck!!! (&&&)

4. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ Agreed. Very well written and it gets right to the point. No need to cram it full of a bunch of information that might overwhelm them (I think I did this when coming out to my mom..).

Best of luck to you! :thumbsup: (*hug*)

5. SkyColours38

Overall I think the letter is fantastic, but I was wondering if you missed out a word or something in this sentence? It just sounds a little odd.
    Best of luck coming out!

6. Acm

Acm Guest

It sounds good to me. Good luck!

7. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very nice. Short and gets the point across. Good luck!

8. I'm_Danni_x

Well done, hope it all goes well !

9. whattodoii

in the back of my closet, with one friend :)
    it's a really good letter :slight_smile: I know you didn't give it to her, but it was a really good letter, I'm sorry how it went...

10. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I think I missed something. Did it not go well??? :confused2:

11. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Help

12. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Thanks, jay777. So sad to read that. :frowning2:

13. whww123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sounds great! You're a very brave guy. (*hug*)

14. whattodoii

in the back of my closet, with one friend :)
    yeah, it didn't go right, you should look at the other thread :/