1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"That's So Gay" + Is this Homophobia, or just sibling rivalry?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Oct 25, 2008.

1. MusicIsLife

So the thing goes that I was goofing off in the kitchen, and my brother was on the computer. I went over to bug him, and saw the person he was talking to said, "That's so gay,".

I told my brother that he should tell her to not say that. He asked why, and i explained why. I used a similar comment to those PSAs, and he said "Well, that's just stupid." i proceeded to explain to him why its so important, and i went to the extremes of what could happen to me if im open about who i love [rape, physically attacked, verbally attacked, murder, etc] though i live in Canada, where its more or less accepted, I wanted to get across the point that saying "That's so gay" is still hurtful.

After my explanation, he called me selfish, and compared it to the fact that he is an atheist. I got really frustrated and left the room, because at that point i was ready to cry.

I'm actually not sure what to make of it, what do you guys think?

2. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Homosexual slurs:
    Fag, faggot, queer, homo, ass bandit, turd burglar, poo pusher, queen, flamer...

Atheist slurs:

3. BlakeHarmony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I said that to my brother, he would just say it more...
    I'm assuming you're out to him, so I don't think it's homophobic but probably more just because he knows it gets to you...
    I would try to explain it to him, maybe even using "that's so atheist" (as un exemple, not for everyday speech) to show him that it really doesn't make sense as an insult...

4. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have to agree with Blake, it sounds like you ought to use "that's so atheist"... to get him to see past the sibling rivalry and to the point...

5. littledinosaurs

Agreed.
    or you could beat the shit outta him.
    whicheever you choose.

6. Master Hade

Master Hade Guest

i really have no problem with people saying thats so gay... it doesn't really bother me

7. kh23172

I think it's annoying really, because something can't be "so gay". It's either gay, or it's not. To be gay is to be happy or to be attracted to the same sex, an inanimate object or a comment or something like that just doesn't apply. That is why the comment is hypocritical and useless, not because it either offends gays or it doesn't. I just think it's a stupid saying.

8. Noah

I babysit two little kids. 8 and 10. Every day that's all they say. It's like the ultimate insult. I told them they couldn't say it until they knew what it meant. Now they always ask me but I told them to talk to their parents :slight_smile:

9. musican

8 and 10! crap they started saying that really early, i hope their parents tell them to stop

10. RonApple

RonApple Guest

"that's so gay", i don't think people aim it to invoke anger in gay people, its just a phrase that has been overused and become the "norm". So I'm not too offended by it, it's just the new catch phrase.

11. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You're such a Jew.

#11 Wander, Oct 27, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  12. RonApple

RonApple Guest

ROFL, saying that is the same sorta thing as "that's so gay"
    Point made :slight_smile:

13. Alex768

So waiiiitttttt, why doesn't it bother you? It bothers the SHIT out of me. Whenever someone in my vicinity says it, I make it a point to correct them. Also, since when is it a social norm to put down people due to uncontrollable circumstances? Using that logic I'm going to call things, "Black," "Jew," maybe even "Mexican" if I'm extra pissed. Grrrrr, using the phrase, "That's so gay." should NOT be tolerated and people can't kid themselves and try to justify its use. The only reason this has become such a fad, is because people perpetuate its use, and claim apathy about it. No, we can't have apathy, and we can't have justification.
    :tantrum:

14. cm25

cm25 Guest

I think we should start saying "that's so straight!" hehehe(!)

15. BlakeHarmony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It works if you retort to someone's "that's so gay" but if you use it all the time, you're doing exactly what you want them to stop so really, unless it's just used once to make a point, it's counterproductive.