1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what to say when asked are you gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by musican, Oct 25, 2008.

1. musican

I live in a small town and go to a school with kids with even smaller minds. I know that coming out to everyone would be stupid because I would just be setting myself up for pain and hurt.

My question is, what do you think I should do if someone asks me if Im gay? People have asked me before and I said no because I didnt want it to be true. Im fine with being gay but I know that most people in my school wont be. Im not sure if I should deny it, avoid the queestion, or just be truthful.

What do you guys think?

2. Mikeyy

It depends on how much you trust the person. If you think they are smart enough to keep it to themselves and you're comfortable with them knowing, go for it.

Otherwise, it's fine to lie or to dodge the question.

3. Myke

Myke Guest

Well do you want other people to know? Are you comfortable with them knowing and potentially telling other people?

I never came out in high school because I didn't want people to know and since it was high school, gossip goes around fast. I didn't want people treating me different because of it. For instance there was this kid that was pretty much out to everyone and wore a rainbow sweatband around his wrist. Well he was in my Phys ED class and one of the other kids went to the Phys Ed teacher asking him to see if the gay kid would change somewhere else just because he was gay. We only changed clothes, we don't shower or anything. The teacher said he'll see what he can do. I was shocked at this but nothing happened.

4. I came out in high school but only because it was very accepting. If you feel that you're in a less than ideal environment then you can flip it around. Be like why, are you interested or something? That usually gets the person to stop asking.

5. HighintheClouds

You could do what Midnight Angel says, or you could also be reeaallly sarcastic and go, "Why, yes I'm gay! Your clothes look beautiful and those shoes really match your hair!" And start flipping your hands around making feminine actions.

I think that'll put them off too.

6. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you really don't want to come out to them and you know you won'ot at all in the future, I would say it's okay to lie to them and tell them no -- that's only if you're comfortable doing so. They don't need to know as it's none of their business. But it's your choice overall. I used to hate being asked that question in school, and I'll admit that the majority of the time I lied and said no.

7. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If someone at my school asks me I'm like, 'Uh, yup.' But only cos it's very, very accepting and I'm practically out there already.

It's up to you whether you want to come out or not. If you think it'll be ok, go for it!! :slight_smile:

8. CazzieCRUSH

Out Status:
    All but family
    I dodge the question cause i really don't know about myself.

But my best friend just says yes. and if u dont like it, f**k off.

9. musican

Its weird because there re some people that I wouldnt want to lie to but at the same time I would be worried that they would tell people and it would get around. Im not ashamed, I just want to avoid unnessicary hurt from bioted people.

Im not sure that avoiding the question will do any good because people will see it as admitting the truth. I think that any way that I react, theyre going to know. I guess I'll think about it and just hope that nobody asks.

10. n8i2c7k

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    it depends. it you dont think they'll react very well then lie. if you feel bad about lying, change the subject or turn the question around on them "why? Are YOU gay?".

but idk i've honestly never been asked. i would just strait up lie (no pun intended). i've had a girlfreind so thats pretty compelling evidence enough for me to get away with it.

if ur worried about how to react...hmm..idk just act normal. being too defensive will just confirm it. i'd just react like someone just asked me if know some stranger, a simple no and a "ur dumb for even thinking it" look.

#10 n8i2c7k, Oct 26, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  11. sdc91

I usually just say, "Hunh, why?"

12. I'm just like, 'Why? Are you interested?'
    Then they either look offended and confused and walk off lol.

13. Gumtree

LoL, in my opinion if someone replied to me "Huh... Why?" or "Why, are you interested?" if I asked them, I would outright just go yup, they're gay.

Don't beat around the bush, if you feel comfortable with that person knowing, understand the risks involved then say yes, if you don't then say no (which is REALLY hard I know).

It gets the picture across a lot stronger then avoiding the question or being sarcastic IMHO.

14. Amy

Amy

if youre comfortable with it and if you trust them and want them to know, then say yes. if not, say no.

when people ask me if im gay, normally, i just say "no. bi."

15. kramer362

Any random person who asks you WILL tell EVERYONE at your school. If someone is the type to go up to you just to ask if you're gay, then they are indeed the type to tell everyone they know because hey, people like to gossip about others.

If you think you'd be bullied once everyone found out, then I'd recommend waiting til after graduation to tell anyone other than close friends you trust.

16. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It depends on the person who's asking. If it's a close friend who you feel comfortable being around, telling them might not be a bad idea. If some random prick off the streets walks up to you and just blurts it out, and you deny it, I won't tell if you don't.

17. Enaithor

I would say if it's someone sensible just say but if it's some dumbarse then say no
    I'm really bad at acting, today someone was like do you have a girlfriend and i was like no then they were like do you have a boyfriend and got really defensive then i thought oh that was stupid

18. happysky

Like what everyone is saying, it depends on who is asking.
    My new friend who happened to be Bi asked me the other day, and I simply said, "Aren't we all?"
    I think she knows, mainly because I'm constantly shouting Vote No on 8.

19. Nodnarb

As pretty much everybody else has said, if it is somebody you trust, and you feel comfortable telling them, then say yes. If it somebody else, then you should probably deny it.

That is the approach I have taken, but nobody has asked....yet. But I have a feeling a certain friend will ask me before too long.

20. lexie

ive only ever been asked straight out once, and i laughed and flat out denied it cause im not out to anyone, and also i wouldnt trust the guy who asked as far as i could throw him. id still dodge the question, or deny it even now, regardless of whether i trusted the person or not. but since your out to some people, i guess go with what you feel comfortable with and trust your instinct. if you dont want to confirm to some people, dont and if you feel ok saying yeah to others, do that, just say whatever you feel comfortable saying.