1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my dad. Letter Draft. How is it?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MsEmmzy, Jan 15, 2015.

1. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm planning on coming out to my dad pretty soon.. What do you guys think of this letter?

I also don't really know when to give it to him.. I don't see him at all during the week. He works from 1pm - 10pm. So I guess I could just leave it for him in the morning, but when?

Once a month, he gets an early Friday where he comes home at around 7 or so.. Should I give it to him in the morning, then discuss when he gets home? I don't really want to distract him from his job, as filling compressed tanks is kind of dangerous.

I could leave it out for him to find at night, but then it would be awkward with my mom there and he might even get mad at her because she knew and didn't tell him.

Sorry if it looks like I wrote a book, I'm just a little lost on what to do right now. :help:

2. AlexPanda94

AlexPanda94 Guest

I think it sounds good, my suggestion on when to give your father this letter would be to wait until he is home and give it to him then go for a walk or something so you don't have to see him read it if you don't want to.
    - Best of luck.

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a good letter and I wouldn't suggest you change anything as it has to come from you. If you are open to suggestions though, I would think about adding a few lines to describe the difficult feelings you have experienced during the questioning process, so he can begin to understand how challenging this has been for you emotionally.

If your Dad has a few days off work that might be a good time to give him the letter, so he can process his thoughts and feelings. If he wants/needs to answer questions he will have time available to him too. Does he ever have a weekend off work?

4. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I think that it is well written, and just long enough to make the point. any further discussion will follow once he reads it. I agree with AlexPanda on the timing. Don't make him carry this with him throughout his workday, he might not even go into work that day. the Friday when he is home is the best time, and taking a walk while he is reading it would be ideal. the down side of going for a walk, though, is that coming back into the house may be a bit terrifying. maybe just go to another room while he reads it, and if you need to sit there and cry to release the anxiety, you can do that while he is reading. good luck.

5. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll probably touch up the letter before giving it to him.

He doesn't work weekends, actually. Maybe that would be a better time... I'll probably take your suggestion and add a bit more.

I don't really like the idea of taking a walk either because of trying to get back into the house afterwards.. :/

I guess I'll wait until his next early Friday.. That should give me time to go over the letter again and talk to my mom and sister about it. Thanks again for the help. :slight_smile:

6. ANewDawn

I thinks it's a really good letter. The only thing you might want to in the beginning is that you're telling him this because you trust him and know he loves - he'll read that first then continue with the intentions of proving himself as a good father to you. And maybe at the end add that everyone's been really supportive (if that's true) so again he'll want to prove himself to you by being supportive as well. Hope e/t goes okay!

7. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, I've taken everyone's suggestions (thanks again, btw!) and touched up my letter. It's somewhat longer now (maybe too long? :confused:), but I do like what I added. Is there anything else I should consider adding? Anything I should maybe take out? Any help would be extremely useful!

I'm also considering signing the letter, but I don't know! What do you guys think?

8. ANewDawn

I think it's perfect - I'm kind of wishing I had thought to write a letter. Instead I sort of just blurted it out and my mom left the room before I could say everything I wanted to.

9. Wildside

Wildside Guest

It's a beautiful letter. I hope that your father treasures you're opening up to him like this.

10. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A wonderful and touching letter. I truly hope your Dad receives it well and offers lots of love and support. Will you let us know how it goes?

11. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks so much for the support everyone! (*hug*)

Of course I will! I'm not too sure when his early Friday is yet, but that's when I plan on giving it to him. I'm going to talk to my mom about it this week and maybe she can offer some more personal advice..

Thanks again! :slight_smile:

12. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm glad your letter isn't really long. I think the long ones worry people too much, especially when it takes a long time to get to the point where the actual announcement is made.