1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do I do now?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Effervescent, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Effervescent

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello.

At the end of summer '14, when I was 12 years old, I realized that I am gay. At the time, it terrified me. I grew up with a lot of gay families in my life, so it wasn't an alien thing to me, but it was still scary to consider that it could be me.

Five months later, I have come out to 2.5 people. I originally started hinting at it with a good friend of mine, and I think she knows, but we haven't really talked about it. She's the 0.5. One of my other friends knows I like a guy in our grade, but we haven't really verbally talked about my sexuality. I kind of wrote down his name to tell her, and we just haven't talked about it.

The third person I came out to came out as bisexual to me at the same time. We weren't really good friends beforehand, but she kind of guessed that I was gay then told me that she was bi to comfort me. We have bonded a lot over this, and have become a source of support for each other. She is saying that she is ready to come out soon, but I'm not sure about myself.

I am 100% sure that this isn't a phase. I just know it isn't. But this little nagging voice in my head keeps telling me "what if you come out, and then realize it was a phase, and have to tell everyone that you were straight in the first place?". Again, I know it isn't a phase, but I'm scared.

I know my mom will be 10000% accepting, and my dad will be ok with it. Should I come out? Am I too young? Should I come out to my friends or family first? I just don't know what to do. :bang:

Thanks a bunch,
    Effervescent

#1 Effervescent, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  2. Aro

Aro

You are never too young to know who you are. Come out to the people you are comfortable with. It's important that you get to be yourself in everything that you do. In regards to the 'what if' on if you were to realize you were straight- you are still yourself. Just like opinions, preferences and how you feel can change. And that is perfectly okay. Don't be scared of change. Embrace yourself. Discovering your interests and yourself is a constant process. Not to be too cliche, but life is a journey. You will always be re-inventing yourself. Your sexuality and gender is just another part of yourself and it is perfectly okay to explore it and switch. Sometimes that can be scary. Just stick to the people who love and trust you like you do them, and everything will work out just fine!

3. Erzulie

If you are sure that your parents would be ok with you coming out, I think they would be ok if your preferences happened to change later in your life as well. It seems like they would accept you no matter what. If you feel the need to come out them, I say you should go for it with them. As for your friends, you should come out to the people you feel comfortable coming out to. You have already come out to, or are in the process of coming out to 3 of them, and they seem like the ones closest to you. Start with whomever else you are closest to. You don't have to walk around with an "I'm gay" button pinned to your shirt, just tell the people you feel comfortable telling.

4. Effervescent

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh my god. Thank you two so much!!

I'm sure I'm gay, and I don't think I'm ever going to change, because I can't deny that I am very attracted to boys. I guess I might be bisexual, but I'm pretty sure that I'm not because I just don't feel anything towards girls. You two have given me a lot of confidence, and I think I am going to tell one of my close friends soon. Thank you again!!!!!!!:slight_smile::kiss:

5. Aro

Aro

You're welcome. c:

Like I said, even if you do decide to change- that is perfectly fine. You are allowed to do that and be happy with whatever you decide! I wish you luck in telling your friend! I am sure it will go well! As long as you are happy with yourself, that is what matters.