1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friends know but my family doesnt?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RikkuOrihara667, Jan 17, 2015.

1. RikkuOrihara667

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok so I'm lesbian and pretty much all but a few of my friend's know but I tell them its a lets keep it between us situation because I'm worried about how my parents and family will react. Just today my older sister accused her friend who's lesbian of faking it. And its comments like that that have made me nervous about telling them. Any advice?

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    What are their general views on lgbt subjects ?

3. Wolf of The Baltic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello dear friend!

Let's talk family. You have seen your sister already so it's best you save her for last. As for your father and mother. I do not know your family as personally as you do. If you could tell me something about how they handle conversations about homosexuality that would be great. You should get a feel for where they stand on these things.

My best of luck
    -the king of the baltic

4. RikkuOrihara667

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well they where supportive of my little sister's friend who lesbian and even offered to let her stay over at our house when she came out to her dad if things went sour. My little sister doesn't mind it. And my mom and dad don't seem to make a big deal out of it.

5. lyjo

Your family sounds really nice and supportive, I'm sure it'll go well. Just tell them when you feel ready. :slight_smile:

6. Wolf of The Baltic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dearest friend

With the information given I can say only this. Do what you feel best. I could write pages of stuff for you, but you should also remember you own your own closet. If you feel the time isn't right then hold back. It isn't a race to come out. Take the time you need. However if you truly feel it's time, then by all means bust down that closet door of yours.
    The time to strike is up to you

My love and greatest hopes
    -The King of The Baltic

7. iiimee

Coming out in one of the hardest things for an LGBT person. I suggest trying to build up your confidence, though I doubt you'll ever feel 100% brave about talking to them... It's just kinda one of those things where you take a deep breath and hope you don't drown once the water hits. It could be a flood or a stream... I didn't even tell my mom face-to-face. I had to write all my feelings down on a piece of paper and I wanted to crawl away as soon as I handed the paper to her. Your sister sounds like she'll be more difficult to deal with, but at least your parents are LGBT supportive. However, sometimes parents take the knowledge of their kid being that way a little more harsh... Don't force yourself to come out immediently. You can even try to drop hints at first if you want, but usually it's pretty difficult for people to catch on to hints. Just know the EC community is there if you need us. :slight_smile: