1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

telling my friend I'm questioning my sexuality

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by whattodoii, Jan 18, 2015.

1. whattodoii

in the back of my closet, with one friend :)
    well, I've started another thread, but I think I should kinda move it to here, as I'm thinking of telling my friend I'm questioning my sexuality. Here I will explain everything quickly, but you can look at the other tread aswell [http://emptyclosets.com/forum/sexual-romantic-orientation/165298-lesbian-bi-maybe.html]

So, I've been in class with my (female) friend for about 2 years and I've known her for about 4. I've developed a crush on her and it's made me question my sexuality. Because at first, I didn't see it as a crush, but when I started questioning myself I saw that I had this crush on her. I really really like her a lot and know that if I would tell her I've a crush on her, our friendship will be different, but she is my closest friend. I don't feel like telling my parents is a good idea (yet) because I'm still questioning myself and figuring out what I am. right now, I think I'm kinda bi, but more leaning towards girls than guys, but like I said, I'm not sure. I really want to talk to her, but I don't know what to expect. I haven't told anyone I've questioned my sexuality except here...
    I've been searching the internet about this and saw that people wanting to come out had this feeling of a weight on their chest lifting when telling people. Back then I'm like, I don't know, I don't want to tell anyone anything. But now I do have think feeling I'm carrying a weight with me, and one second I want to tell her and the next I'm afraid and glad I didn't...
    So, yeah, thanks for replying

2. JayWalker

JayWalker Guest

Hmm, well, when I told my friends, I hadn't planned for it to happen. It had been a nice day, we'd gone out to the park, one of my friends made a scientifically (inaccurate) guess between the connection of fingers and sexuality. I proved him wrong by coming out.
    It really helped me that someone knew, and it lifted the weight, so I'm sure if she considers you a close friend as much as you seem to consider her, then it will go well for you. Sometimes, friends appreciate you more than family. :slight_smile:

3. sheepishgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    hey, I've already given you my advice in the previous thread and I still stand by it, but I'm stopping by to tell you I'm going to be watching this thread as well ... update us about your progress! :slight_smile:

4. Rosie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Perhaps you should try by first telling someone you don't really know and who doesn't have any relationship with your friends or family. This might already relieve the pressure a bit, or just gives you even more of a drive to tell your friend.

5. whattodoii

So, I've got some exciting news!!! I've come out to my friend!!
    I've been wanting to tell her I'm questioning my sexuality and I might be bi/lesbian. But today, I've heard a lot of people talking and dropping 'gay' and someone was talking about an Australian kiss(if you don't know what it is, google it, haha :slight_smile: ) and I was super super super anxious to tell her.
    So we were biking, and I tried to steer the conversation to crushes, because we just found out a friend of us has a crush on someone we know. And I asked her if she had a crush, and she told me she has a crush on a guy, but I don't know him. But she didn't ask me!!!
    But anyways, we ended up talking about an interview and gay people (not my idea, hers!!) and I told her I wanted to tell her something, but she couldn't tell anyone, about it. So she's like: okay? And I say: ''Okay, well, I have a crush on someone, but... (long feeling silence) it's a girl (another century long silence). Okay, so, is it the first time you've had a crush on a girl, or...? me: yeah, kinda, but when I think back, I feel like I've had other crushes on girls... (I also told her I did like guys, but I just don't really know, and I can't label myself, at least not right now) And she's like: yeah, of course!
    And she tells me something I totally didn't know!!! Because she said: well, I actually also thought I might not like guys, but girls... But now I like a boy, so...
    so, yeah, that was a surprise!!!

I'm anxious and curious (weird, I know), if this will affect/change anything in our relationship (as friends) good or bad...

Thanks everybody who helped me,
    and I know, I've only just begun this 'journey' but, I'm not alone, and it feels pretty freaking good right now!!

6. sheepishgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    that is awesome that you came out to your friend and she took it so well! I'm really glad for you right now :slight_smile: aaaaand with what she said, there might be hope for you two as a couple! well, she likes that guy right now, but someday in the future maybe? :slight_smile:

7. whattodoii

@sheepishgirl thank you so much!!!! and idk, it did surprise me a lot though, I mean, I think almost everyone here hopes their crush might 1. be into girls if you're a girl, same with gay/bi/trans, I guess? and 2. that they like you enough as a person to want more than being just friends/people who talk... :b
    Yeah, I know, and if you don't see someone a lot, a crush can wear off faster than when you do see someone (almost)every day/a lot :slight_smile: So yeah, we'll see :slight_smile:
    I feel a lot better, but we haven't really talked about it since, but we've had a busy week, so next week I'm hopefully able to see if her behaviour changes, hopefully in a good way, but if she doesn't change, I would still be really happy :slight_smile: