1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After you come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by iBlaze, Jan 18, 2015.

1. iBlaze

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not really concerned with people's reactions or anything like that, since I live in a socially liberal place and I know my family and friends would accept me. I'm lucky in that way. However, I'm scared of people looking at me differently and viewing me in a different light. Will it be on their mind every time they talk to me? Will it be slightly awkward to talk to my parents directly afterward? I still haven't even decided how to come out yet. It will probably be random and not planned.

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, that depends on the person. If your parents are reasonably open minded, they will probably forget about it sooner or later, but there are people who may indeed think about it every time they see you.

Being gay is just a small part of one's personality, but some people (not all) can't see that.

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It has been my experience and that of others that coming out is a bigger deal to us that it is to the others in our lives.

You are indeed fortunate that it is accepted in your circle of family and friends. You will see that with acceptance comes a king of oblivion: people accept, they may think about it for a couple of days, internalize it, then get on with their urgent lives. Strangely enough, acceptance means forgetting about it, it's just a new normal...

4. aeva

I think it depends. Personally, I can't stop thinking about a person being gay when I'm with them, but only if they don't know I'm gay.

I don't think the people close to me think about it constantly, because they've known for a few years now. My parents couldn't care less, my step-mum even tries to set me up with cute girls.

5. oldladynewlez

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think, after the initial shock wears off, most people won't even think about it. I think we worry more then we need to since the ones who know and love us won't care and those are the only ones who matter.
    As I come out to more and more people, there are sure to be some to whom this is a big deal. "That's Jerri. She's a lesbian, you know." To those, I just wave goodbye. To those who like me for who I am as a person and my sexuality not being of any interest, those are the ones I will hold dear. And they will sort themselves out, eventually.

6. JayWalker

JayWalker Guest

Of the few people I've come out to, after a few weeks, most had forgotten. There was one of my friend's who kept making annoying hints at it around people who I hadn't told, but that stopped about a year ago. All in all, most people accept, and then let it slip into their subconscious. Though, it'll probably hit them full force if you came home with a guy. X3