1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out advice- I'm scared people won't believe me

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by vespa27, Jan 18, 2015.

1. vespa27

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi all,
    I came on here a while ago as I was confused about my sexuality and I want to begin by firstly saying thank you to everyone who replied, I can tell this is a really great community.
    After many sleepless nights and lots of self reflection I now know that I am gay. And now has come the time that I've always feared, the time to come out. I am really not sure how to go about this as I have been quite insistent that I am NOT gay for quite a while (I think I was in denial). I've come out to my closest friend who has been great and doesn't see it as a big deal which is the ideal reaction I think. But I have no idea how to come out to my parents or my other friends or even my older sister who I am very close too. For a long time my mum was convinced I was gay and and I had many serious conversations to tell her that just because I am not interested in boys does not mean I'm gay and so on and so forth. And now I'm going to do a complete one-eighty and tell her I am gay! I know that I am really lucky as she is not homophobic and I'm not worried so much that she'll be bothered that I'm gay, but more that she won't believe me that I am (I know that sounds really daft). I almost feel I need a girlfriend as proof! I mused with waiting until I do meet someone but that could be years away and I am becoming more and more aware of feeling uncomfortable with letting everyone assume I am straight. I finally feel comfortable with myself, that I am attracted to people not because I ought to be but simply because I am and it drives me crazy that I am too scared to come out and say that I'm gay. I really don't want to make a big deal out of it but I do want people to know and I have no idea how to do that! So any advice, or stories of how you came out would be much appreciated!
    Thank you!
    Vespa27

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Vespa27,

First, congratulations in coming out to yourself and to your friend. You have already taken huge steps!

About coming out to your parents, other friends, sister, etc. , take a look here, this might help:

Empty Closets - Coming Out and Staying Out

Empty Closets - Coming Out Stories

Empty Closets - Coming Out Letters

You may also want to look at the Coming Out Stories section of the forum.

Coming Out Stories - Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out

3. vespa27

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks, there's some really helpful stuff here, thanks for pointing me in the right direction :slight_smile: