1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of coming out to my first people

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by smartstuff1508, Oct 27, 2008.

1. smartstuff1508

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey, Friday's my birthday and some of my friends and I are going out for breakfast so I think that might be a good time to come out. I definitely know they're the right people to start off with. Two girls and another gay guy. So since this is my first coming out, I could definitely use the advice. Anything actually helps so I won't be so specific. Except I would like to know how exactly would I come out. I know this is such a common question, but I've been so busy lately (You wouldn't believe). I have until Friday. Thanks.

SmartStuff (*hug*)

2. Mickey

First,Happy Birthday!
    I think if you're comfortable with your friends,you'll be just fine.
    When you feel the time is right, just tell them you want to talk about something
    and then,tell them. It's good that your male friend is gay. It will make it
    that much easier. Good luck and have a great birthday!

3. JT

JT

Sounds like a great idea to me.
    Go for it!
    And happy 16th :grin:

As for how to go about doing it... Well, you're going out to breakfast with these other people. You could always do what I did and just bring it up casually, and confidently.

4. Gumtree

Happy B/Day!

Ditto to the above posts.

You obviously seem comfortable with these people knowing, don't wast any time!

Be straight forward and direct, spit it out and get it over with and you will feel a 10000x better!

GOOD LUCK!

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it'd be good, but just make sure the breakfast remains "your birthday celebration" not "your coming out party". Tell them, let them know you think enough of them to share this information with them, and thank them for being such kick-ass friends. Then get back to the French toast and balloons. :slight_smile:

Lex

6. smartstuff1508

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Ha ha. Thanks everyone. Today I've been with the 'other gay guy'. I would really like to tell him, but do not know how. Oh yeah. I know he's gay but he doesn't know that I know because he's still closeted too, but I'm 100% he's gay. Anyway, I just want to tell him so our friendship could grow and we'll be on the same pace.

7. tm74

tm74 Guest

Well, I came out to my first people a few weeks ago - in my case to a gay couple who are good friends of mine - and my advice will be this - as you're going to be nervous as hell, pick people you're sure aren't going to react badly - it sounds like you've already done that - so my advice would be to take them aside at the start of your meal (if there are others going), and just say it. Get it over with, and enjoy the pancakes...

Oh, and happy 16th, and may there be many more happy birthdays to come.

and of course, let us all know how it went!

#7 tm74, Oct 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2008
  8. lordjord96

Well Say Like "would You Accept Me For Who I Am" Then Say "well I Need To Tell You...." Pause For 2 Secs (you Dont Need To) And Last Thing Out Your Mouth Is "im Gay" And They Should Accept That. Well 1 Person Going Is Gay So He Will Understand-and Two Girls Will Understand So Be Happy And Conferdent :slight_smile:

9. smartstuff1508

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Okay, maybe I left out an important detail. Lately, I can't get 'the gay guy' off my mind. I honestly haven't felt like this. I really can't describe it. I actually would like to come out to him alone so this may definitely change the plans. Any advice? Do I tell him how i feel? I'm definitely going to come out to him but is that it? :bang:

10. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I think coming out to him when you are alone is a good way to go about it.

How well do you know him? If you don't know him too well, I would suggest before telling him about your feelings for him, try to get to know him. When we talk to people and get to know them better, our feelings will either be strengthened or they will weaken as we might realize that there is very little that would make a relationship work. Often crushes will fade over time. If you tell him outright as to how you feel about him, and he does not reciprocate it, it might be hard to take it. But if you go at it slowly and get to know him, you will get a much better picture about your feelings for him and also about his feelings for you.

I hope this helps a bit.

11. smartstuff1508

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Wow that does help. Thanks Asteroid. I honestly haven't felt this way about a person. I've never acted so strangely for a person. I don't mean I'm acting for him, I mean I've felt so different. I know him somewhat and he's such a great person, but I definitely plan on getting to know him way better.

12. smartstuff1508

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Wow. Yesterday I came out to him and it wasn't too bad and it actually felt really good. We started talking about him being gay and he started explaining a lot to me. And I snuck it in there. Before that, we were talking about assumptions and how people say to closeted gay guys, "Which girl do you like?" So we started laughing and I said, "You made that assumption about me." And he went completely silent for a minute. Then I told him I was gay. He said he got that clue, but didn't know if he should've asked or what to say in general. Overall, he was completely cool with it and he's such a great person.

13. thespanishheart

Congrats!

Do the others know?

We're so proud of you! The closet suddenly seems less full now (*hug*)

14. Dark Secret

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on taking your first big step out of the closet!

I'm pleased that it went well, but I thought you were going to come out to him two weeks ago.

15. hidden365

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Tell Me how it feels out there, hehe Im curious to know!
    I'm jealous of your courage... Wish I was like that!

16. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations! I am happy for you that it went so well.

17. Congratulations on your first out-of-the-closet outing! Just how great does it feel, huh?
    I'm so happy for you :slight_smile:

18. smartstuff1508

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Ha ha It feels great! It's weird, I'm not crushing on him anymore. We've become really good friends. However, I'm crushing on this other guy and it's totally different this time. I'm pretty sure this guy likes me back. We just started talking and I keep thinking of him and I can't wait to see him every day. I'm pretty sure he knows I'm gay. Anyway, I defintely plan on coming out to more people. It honestly gets easier when you find someone to talk to about all this.