1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to tell if someone will be accepting

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Najlen, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Najlen

I am going to come out publicly in a month and a half because of a presentation the GSA is doing. I can imagine the approximate reactions of most of my friends, except for two. One of them has said multiple times that she hates LGBT people, and expressed to me her desire to tear down/ vandalize the GSA's "love is love" posters. Last year, however, she unquestioningly accepted several bi classmates. I don't know whether she was ok with them because her feelings are changing or because she had known them for years and they are bi, not gay.

The second person is a guy I have wanted to get to know for a while and have just started to be friends with. We are so similar that there is a running joke between us and our friends that we are in fact the same person. I have no idea what his views on LGBT folk are, except that one day at lunch he and some of our mutual friends were having a loud conversation about someone another mutual friend who (at least I'm assuming they were the same person, she came out to me a few weeks later) was bi. My guy friend was facing me during this conversation and he seemed kind of uncomfortable. I don't know whether that says anything because he could have just wanted them to stop talking so loudly. I really have no idea what he thinks, though I have a feeling he would not be ok with it, according to a friend we come off as (her words, not mine) "totally anal Christians" but in reality we are atheists.

The first friend could make my life a living hell if she wanted to, the second could do the same thing in a different way. Ideas on their reactions would be appreciated, I would like to have a better idea of what to prepare for. Thanks!

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    First, ist sometimes difficult to say how people react.

You might drop some hints.

On the other hand, if you would come out publicly and a whole group would be accepting, they might at least for the first time come around.