1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is It Finally My Time To Come Out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Pherson1991, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Pherson1991

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    They say it takes some people along time to discover themselves and there true purpose in life. That is true in my case. I have fought myself for a long time now that the reason for my sadness and depression wasn't my sexuality. I have tried to find a solution through religion and that still didn't help. I have found that with most things there are going to be people who don't understand or who think its wrong and that's there right. I have to be me 100% I cant be 50/50. I have to do this for myself because it is ultimately my life. I am GAY.

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Pherson1991. Welcome to EC.

You have taken a huge step here, congratulations. In my opinion, the greatest battle we fight when coming out is the one against ourselves . Congratulations

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Pherson1991, welcome to EC!

Congratulations on your new understanding of yourself, that was a major hurdle! Damn right it's your life!

4. Sh1f73r

Brah, I still in the closet. Your taking a really big step. Congrats

5. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I'm with you, Pherson! That is certainly the story of my life. :dry: I fought it for a very long time and have spent most of my life discerning what I was supposed to be doing and where I was supposed to be doing it. That led to lots of moves and lots of changes. I tried very very hard to find a solution through religion. The problem there was not with religion, but with the fact that I was trying to dictate what the solution was to be. I thought that the solution had to be that I would stop being gay. But the joke was on me, because the solution was right there waiting for me to see it -- to just accept who I am and live authentically! Congratulations, and good luck! (*hug*)

6. Notlad

Good way to think about it. Hope coming out goes well for you!

7. StephenB

StephenB Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes coming out to yourself can be the hardest. Congratulations! Good luck with coming out to everyone else, as you decide you're ready :slight_smile:

8. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I believe you will know when the right time is yourself. Whatever hope things go well :slight_smile:

9. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi
    I know where you are at.
    I tried to be "straight" for many years - therapy the whole works! :tears:

Coming out to myself was very difficult emotionally. Coming out to others was super scary but it was the best thing I ever did. I'm not out to everyone but I don't worry if people assume if I am gay. I have never been happier and more content in myself. (also the country that I live in has changed from a place where being gay was illegal to a place where two guys can hold hands in public)
    All I will say is give yourself credit for how far you have come, :eusa_clap take your time and tell people at your own pace. There is no best way to tell people that you are gay, if they have a bad reaction that is their problem and not your fault.
    "They" say that you shouldn't come out in an argument or via a text message, but that's how I came out to my family and the reaction was supper positive and supportive. The reaction you get depends on who you tell and not on how you tell them.

Being yourself 100% is the most wonderful and under appreciated feeling in the world!
    (&&&)

10. ANewDawn

Congratulations on coming out to yourself - like Chiroptera said, that's half the battle. I know for me the minute I accepted that I'm gay I wanted to come out to the entire world. I think most people feel when it's the right time, and if that's how you're feeling, go for it! :grin: No matter how people react there will still be a sense of relief in not having to hide anymore.