1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guy in Late 20s, Scared but Ready to Come Out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by NewKid87, Jan 20, 2015.

1. NewKid87

I'm so happy I found this site. Discovering it was the last bit of encouragement I needed to accept myself. I'm 27 years old, and I'm gay. I have never been with a man. I have many questions and concerns about coming out at my age, as well as about how to integrate into the gay community.*

Some background about myself: I grew up in an environment where I was taught that homosexuality is a sin and socially indecorous. I've always known I was gay, but for many years I hated myself and tried to hide and change my sexuality. It took me a long time to get to a place where I don't feel scared and ashamed about who I am. After a lot of introspection and some professional successes that raised my self-esteem, I was able to muster the courage to accept myself, and I'm*finally ready to come out.

Yesterday I came out to my sister, with whom I'm very close. She was fine with it, to my great joy and surprise, but she was shocked and said she had no idea I was gay. It goes without saying that this will be difficult for me, and I'd appreciate any advice and encouragement.

1. How to Come Out?
    I wish I could say I'm unattached, but I've been dating a woman long-distance for the past five years. I haven't seen her in almost two years, but we chat irregularly on Skype. I've never been with anyone else, romantically or otherwise. When we started dating, I hoped stupidly - but sincerely - that I would turn straight. It was never my intention to hurt or deceive her; she's my best friend and I love her. *Coming out to her/breaking up with her will be the hardest thing I've ever done. To say I feel horrible would be an understatement. Any advice on how to navigate this messy coming out process would be invaluable. *I've been a coward, so the least I can do now is be honest: I must come out to her before I even think of dating a guy.

Apart from her, I'm not quite as anxious about coming out to those who have known me my entire life, like my family, given that my sister took the news so well. But I am not sure how to go about telling my parents, for example. *I don't feel any particular urgency to do so, not because I'm ashamed, but because that's going to be a scary, emotionally draining conversation and I would rather start meeting guys and live the life I want to live now before coming out to my family. I'm afraid that I might hide behind the need to come out to my family first to postpone meeting guys. Maybe I'm just making excuses. I'd really appreciate others' thoughts and experiences.

2. Dating and Romance
    If and when I do finally summon the strength to come out to my family, friends and coworkers, I will still have no idea how to begin meeting and dating guys. I'm very scared that I've come out too late and that other men will think I'm a loser and a chicken.

Part of me is not exactly sure what I want - a serious boyfriend, or casual fun. I'm leaning toward the former given my temperament, but being inexperienced, I just don't know. And I don't know how to go about meeting other gay men in a way that isn't awkward or dangerous.

I'm concerned that if I present myself as a serious potential boyfriend, others who are doing the same will want someone with experience and won't be interested in me.*I also honestly don't know if I'd be OK with one-time flings - I've never had them. If it turns out that's what I want, I'm not sure how I'd go about finding the appropriate person, or how I'd react to rejection.

Again, I'd appreciate any thoughts on how to handle first dates after recently coming out. *I live*in a gay friendly city, so it'd make sense to start hanging out in gay neighborhoods, but even that seems scary without someone who can guide me.

3. Am I too late?
    Assuming I'm able to summon the courage to ask a guy out, my fear is that he will be turned off by my inexperience. He is bound to eventually ask me how I came out and how many relationships I've been in. I would be inclined to tell the truth:*"look, full disclosure, I just recently came out and I've never been with a guy. I really like you, but if my lack of experience is going to be a problem, then no hard feelings, but I'd rather know now." That sounds like the right way to go about things, but I don't know how I'd react if the guy were to say "Ew, you're a *loser and a coward." I might be too insecure to even tell the truth, but the last thing I want to do is start lying again.

I'm eager to get out and start meeting guys because I feel like I've squandered a big part of my youth. But just because I want to date and fall in love doesn't mean I'm not terrified. I'm afraid if I rush things, I'll get intimidated if I'm rejected and that'll stall the momentum I'm feeling now.*I know I'm late to the party. I just hope I'm not too late.*There's nothing I can do to change that, so I hope I can meet someone who can accept me for who I am. I finally have.

I know I'm not the first person (nor will I be the last) to struggle through these feelings, but it has been immensely therapeutic just writing this. It's such a relief not to feel ashamed of my passions anymore. No one should ever be made to feel like s/he's worthless, and no one should ever make him/herself feel that way. It took me 27 years to get that, but I'm glad I finally did.

I'd love to*hear your thoughts. I look forward to meeting other people here who are so strong and brave, and who've made me feel that way too. And to the extent that I can offer advice, I'm happy to. Thanks for reading.

2. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Let me provide my story to help you out.

I was raised much the same way, that homosexuality/bisexuality were sins. I tried for many years to suppress it. I decided after I was let go from a job and faced depression and sought professional help that it was time to get real. I took baby steps at first. I came out to that therapist first. The next person was a pastor who put on a play about loving gay people etc., then my cousin. All 3 had positive reactions for the most part. The 4th was my brother, 5th was my one aunt and so on..

Yes, I was 31 and coming out to all these people as who I really am, a bi male.

In your case, you may want to come out to other people who you know have been supportive of gay rights. Maybe an aunt or uncle? A cousin? You know your family circle the best. I would caution against coming out to your gf first because it could be the hardest. I wouldn't want her reaction to scare you from coming out to others. Get a solid circle together first, THEN come out to her if the crap hits the fan.

I am 31 and only was with one guy secretly in high school. I haven't had sex in 12 years. I just met someone on a dating site that is a virgin and is my age! And yes, we want a serious relationship. So yes, they/we are out there. People come out at all ages and stages. Check out, "LGBT later in life" for more examples.

There are guys like me that are STD phobic that don't want their man to have been with 30 people.

Being late to the party is better than never to have shown up at all. :slight_smile:
    You can go to a coffee shop, bookstore, dinner, art gallery, library, opera etc. Find a common interest and go from there.

---------- Post added 21st Jan 2015 at 01:54 AM ----------

Oh, and welcome to EC!

3. guitar

Hi Newkid87,
    Being the same age as you and having only recently come out, I can relate to a lot of what you're going through. Did the whole distance thing with a girl, which went on far longer than it should have - partly because I preferred the safety of being in a straight relationship rather than letting the world know who I really was/am. A lot of your situation is all too familiar.

If you want to chat more, feel free to send a private message my way.

You'll find there are some great stories & advice on this forum, read as much as you can.

4. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC! :smilewave:

Also: congratulations already on coming out to yourself and to your sister! If you ask me, those are some of the most important and difficult steps to take on the way out of the closet.

I'll start off by saying that 27 is in no way too late to come out. (Well, I'm biased. I was 26 when I came out :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)
    Sure, you're going to meet people who were out since they were 14 and have all of those anecdotes about what being out since your teen years is like. And sometimes that may feel like you were wasting your time when they were living the out life.
    But one of the most important things I learned is that you shouldn't see any part of your life as "waste". You weren't out, but you weren't just lying in your bed either. You did tons of other stuff, and a lot of it is just as valuable as experience with the gay community.

I'm not going to lie: there are indeed people out there who insist on extensive experience. And some of them even say up front that they don't want to "waste their time".
    But... I'm also not really sure you want to date those people, even if you have tons of experience. What else is a relatuionship than wasting time together in a fun way? And insisting on experience makes it sound like they're having an opening for a job, not for a boyfriend. So if you meet people like that, and they reject you, don't take it as rejection. Take it as a sign they weren't worth your time in the first place.

So: if it comes up, be honest, but not apologetic. Your experience is what it is, and if they see that as a problem, fine!
    Finally, I think you're selling yourself short. You have experience in relationships. Just not with guys. But dating guys is not completely different from dating girls. OK, in the bedchamber the blumbing is different :wink:, but the game of compromise and give-and-take, the interplay between serious, joking, and flirty, the need to communicate: that's all there just as much when dating guys as when dating girls.
    Most of what you learned from your LDR with that girl might be of help here!

Of course, all of the above is of import once you start being out and meeting guys. So for now I would also say you shouldn't worry about it too much. You can do things one step at a time, and you shouldn't worry about 50 steps down the road. You can learn to run only after you learned how to walk.

Coming out is something that is, IMO, best done in moderation. Don't feel obliged to come out to friends and family and LDR girlfriend and colleagues etc. alll in one fell swoop. Not even in one week or month. Identify people who you think will be accepting and come out to them first. Build a support network with those people. Inform them when you're dealing with the harder nuts to crack, and they can give advice and support and a pat on the back.
    Also, they can be good confidence builders when going out into the gayer parts of town. I would have never dared to enter a gay bar if it weren't for my friends cheering me on.

As for meeting other gay guys to date... maybe it's best to focus first on meeting other gay guys, full stop.
    You seem to already know where some of them are to be found, but it might also be worthwhile to look up if there's any groups you could join. As in: non-dating-oriented groups. There's coming-out groups, discussion groups, hobby groups, etc. The benefit of those being that you are just meeting people with no expectations beyond just hanging out and getting to know each other over a shared hobby/interest. You've spent 27 years in the closet, so spending a few weeks to months just getting to know people before dating them is not going to make much difference in timeframe, and it WILL make all the difference in making new friends and fitting in.

I am writing a novel here (as I usually do xD), so I'll stop. The tldr is: no, you're not too late. Nor are you early. You came out exactly when you needed to! And with some help from friends and EC, I'm sure you'll do swimmingly!

5. NewKid87

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply and offer advice. It really means a lot!

Biguy8, thanks for sharing your story. It makes sense that I should come out first to the people in my life that I know will be supportive. It'd be too hard to do this without a support group of friends and allies. It's heartening to know you were able to find someone who wanted the same things as you. I'll definitely follow your advice!

Guitar, I'm grateful you've reached out to me. I've always known intellectually that there are other people going through what I'm going through, but it didn't really hit home until I found this forum and started reading their accounts. It means a lot that you'd be willing to share your similar experiences. If it's not a bother I'd like to take you up on your offer to chat - I'll send a PM your way.

And Filip, your "novel" made me smile. Thanks for the encouragement. For whatever reason I felt like I had to rush to come out and get it over with, but doing it in moderation seems a lot more sensible, doable, and less scary. I will also definitely focus on meeting gay friends first. You've helped me a lot. Thanks!

6. guitar

Glad my post was able to help; and by all means, hit me up. I was very much "in your shoes" not that long ago so I've got a pretty good idea of what you're going through, as do a lot of the other forum members.

7. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm 35 and I'm still coming out to people. I find the best method is to be direct.

No you are not too late. If they are the right person it doesn't matter.

8. aboutface

Hi newkid. I can relate to alot of what you say. It's early for me too, and you are staring a a few years younger than I did, but still I can see similarities with my own experiences.

You've gotten some good advice already. Feel free to just take an outward step every once in a while when you feel you are ready for that step. For me I think a key is continuing to think about things in a productive way most every day. That's where the necessary internal progress is made, just a little day by day, and with that you will find that you somehow become really ready for outward steps along the way.

For me EC has been really great at that, even when I'm not posting a ton but just lurking and reading about other people's experiences. It allows me to relate a lot of their situations and other people's good advice back to myself, and just thinking about these issues in a healthy way consistently can really lead to significant progress over time I've found.

As far as dating or just getting to know people, my best advice to you is to just try as best you can to make peace with yourself. With the fact that you are gay, with your relative inexperience, all of it. Try to find ways to seek out people who genuinely interest you and value the same things you do in life, and try to approach those new relationships with optimism and honesty. If topics come up like how early in the coming out process it is for you and your lack of experience, be as honest about it as you can be, but don't be apologetic.

I'm really early in the process myself, but have started meeting a few people, and I've taken that approach as best I can. Maybe I've gotten unreasonably lucky early on (probably so!), but I can tell you that if you can find the right people, they will definitely respond positively to someone who is just trying to be genuine to themselves and is honest and open about who they are and where they are right now.

It's definitely not too late. It's never too late. Good luck!

9. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, just a technical note on how the forum runs: you can't send PMs to just anyone until you're a full member (which requires a posting history of at least 50 posts over 2 weeks).

You can go to another persons profile and post a wall message, though.

And, as per the big red warning on top of the forum: no sharing of contact info in any public part of the site is allowed!

10. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    NO ! Never too late!! :icon_bigg

11. Psaurus918

I'm 25 almost 26 and in the same boat. I wish I would have came out sooner. I feel like I'm never going to find anyone because I'm too chicken to go to a gay bar or even try dating sites. I've never had sex or a serious relationship and don't know how to handle one.

I'm not sure where in NY you are but I live in a small city upstate where being gay is looked down upon. Sometimes I feel like packing my bags and moving to the city even if it means living in a closet sized apartment just so I can have more opportunities to meet guys.

If you need someone to talk to message me!

12. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    NewKid87.. Yeah...take it easy, don't rush, the right person is out there. Age has nothing to do with it at all. Believe me, you most likely have a better, more realistic outlook on life than a 14 year who's coming out...they have their own entire set of problems that are different than yours. I loved what Filip said; "And insisting on experience makes it sound like they're having an opening for a job, not for a boyfriend." How true! It took all those year to get to where you are, it's gonna take a little while to work your way out. Rushing into the wrong relationship would only make things worse.
    David

13. NewKid87

Thanks David! I guess I felt like rushing because I've felt so empowered and liberated these past few months that I didn't want to waste any more time. But maturing isn't a waste of time, and it is going to take a while before I'm as out as I want/need to be.

Noted! I'll wait until I can become a full member. No rush, I plan to stick around here for a while! :icon_bigg

You've all been a big help. It's encouraging to know I'm not too late and that others can relate to what I'm going through. I still need time process all this - just coming out to myself, let alone to my sister has been emotionally exhausting - but I will come out at my at my own pace. It's scary, but at least I'm in control of the process. I'll keep you updated!

14. whww123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm turning 25 soon and I'm not out of the closet yet.
    And there's no right age to come out.
    Maybe now that you have your foot in the door, you can come out to a person a week?
    If that seems too fast, maybe once a month?

You got this! Super proud and envious of you (but mostly proud) (*hug*)

15. PGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm 27, and I'm in the process of coming out too. Everyone has their own reasons why it is so hard... but for me at lest, it has been worth it. Keep going, and best of luck. You know where to find us if you need to talk about anything!

16. guitar

Since I don't know if PM'ing will be an option, I'll just address a bit of this here:

1. Long Distance thing: you're going to have to break it off at some point. As much as I hate to say it, that isn't a relationship. It's a friendship. Long distance relationships can work, but it's rare that they do, unless you're making frequent trips to see each other. Plus, it isn't fair to her if she is sitting in waiting for you guys to move the relationship along to the next level. Like I said, I've been there, and the relationship happened over a span from when I really started questioning my sexuality to fully realizing I was gay. This may or may not be the case for you, but for me it was a way to pretend I had a regular relationship and not move on with my life.

2. Dating: The only way for you to go about this is just to do it. It's the only way you can gain experience. I'd recommend finding out a popular dating site or 2 in your area and create a profile. Start messaging a few people you think you might be interested in, and see what happens. Just be ready for rejection and half of the people out there not responding or losing interest quickly. Internet dating has it's pros and cons, but is still a great way to start meeting people and getting your feet wet.

Regarding the "I'm a loser for waiting so long," I'll admit, one guy I dated had an issue with me waiting so long to date guys. Most, however are fine with it. And besides as you start to meet and date new people, that stigma will slowly start to melt away.

Wanting fun or a boyfriend: I'm much more of a long-term single-partner guy, but that doesn't have to be you. The odd sexual fling might be just what the doctor ordered for you. Or being with someone who cares for you more long term might better suit your needs, it's hard to say. Personally, I prefer the safety of knowing someone at least for a few dates and feeling like you can trust them. Whichever option you chose, for the love of god, be safe!:eusa_danc

3. You're not too late! Better late than never is a phrase for a reason. Sure, it can be argued you lost out on some dating experience in your late teens and 20s, but now's the perfect time to catch up. Look for groups to join, perhaps there's a gay bowling league in your area, LGBT support group, go to pride if your city's big enough...

Some guys WILL be turned off by inexperience. Rejection and some awkwardness comes with the territory of dating - gay or straight. But the more you try it and the more you get yourself out there, the easier it becomes. Plus, it will open you to new experiences and will allow you to grow as a person. Take it slow, and again, be safe.

#16 guitar, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  17. NewKid87

Thank you so much, guitar. I really appreciate your advice.

I just came out in person to a close friend last night(!!!). It went as well as I could've hoped. :icon_bigg I'm feeling confident and very lucky now; hopefully I can take advantage of this momentum to power through the harder parts of this process.

I know, and I agree with you. My situation is similar to yours. She and I had a more genuine relationship during its first few years, when we each scheduled frequent trips to see each other. But she moved farther away and I haven't seen her for almost a year now. I'm just trying to muster the courage to tell her.

The particulars of every relationship are different, but if you're willing to share, can I ask how you broke up/came out to your ex? I want to tell her the entire truth, she deserves that much, and I want to do it sooner rather than later. Doing it in person is not physically possible (she's on the other side of the world) and I'm afraid that if I do it over the phone/Skype she will react in a way that'll cause me to break down and not say everything I want to say. I was thinking of writing a letter, at least to get all my thoughts in order. Do you have thoughts on this? Some might think I'm being a chicken for doing it in a letter, but this is not just a break up letter, it's a break-up-and-coming-out letter. I figure that way it'll give her time to react and process, and then if she has questions and wants to talk I'll be there for her. Curious to know your thoughts.

Me too, and the more I think about this the more I'm realizing that I do just want a serious boyfriend. And yes, my god, I'm STD-phobic; definitely, definitely safe!

I just need to fix the LDR mess I made. After that, the dating stuff seems relatively easier. At least not as painful.

---------- Post added 24th Jan 2015 at 12:00 PM ----------

You got this too! And you got a head start on me. You'll know when you're ready. We're here when you need us!

---------- Post added 24th Jan 2015 at 12:02 PM ----------

Same goes for you! And thanks! It's so heartening to know there are others out there like me!

18. NewKid87

Take it easy - there are a lot of people in your shoes. Finding someone and being in a serious relationship is difficult for everyone, gay or straight. It's especially tough when you grow up in an environment when you're not allowed to be yourself.

It's perfectly normal to be nervous about taking the plunge re: dating and sex. Granted, I only recently came out to myself about two months ago, so I don't have a vast well of experience to draw upon, but my advice: be confident about who you are, be honest, but don't be apologetic or make excuses. There's nothing wrong with being inexperienced, and if someone tries to make you feel that way, he's not for you.

I felt the same way you do and I wish there was an easy way to get over the timidity. For me, I was able to do it when I finally realized that I have nothing to be ashamed of, and that there's nothing wrong or perverse about my sexual orientation. Once you accept yourself, it's easier to be confident. The people who matter will accept you too.

Let me know if you need advice about living in a grossly over-priced closet-sized apartment. Opinions vary, but for me, the city's worth it :slight_smile:

19. PATenor2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well NewKid, I think you'll be just fine. If it makes you feel any better, I'm just coming out at 61. I can relate to your feelings of wasted opportunities!

On Thursday night I attended a panel discussion at the local LGBT center on the response of the gay community in the early days of the Aids epidemic. I originally went thinking that it might be a great way to meet some guys my own age, but what really happened was that I began to feel terrible that these brave men and women on the panel had been risking everything to fight the disease, the stigma, and to bring help and comfort to their friends and lovers who were dying, often alone, and there I was, hiding in the closet, afraid to come out and join them.

I didn't feel unworthy to be there because I was inexperienced with guys, I felt unworthy because I had been too cowardly to openly admit that I was gay. It was a humbling experience to say the least. I hope to find someone, even at my age, that I can share the rest of my life with. More than that though, I hope I can be a better person than I was.

20. guitar

Newkid, First of all, congrats on coming out! The first time, if you come out to the right person, it can feel really amazing yet I'll bet emotionally taxing. Your first major step forward :slight_smile:

LDR: I'll be honest, the last 6 months we hardly spoke. Both were working crazy hours & had a lot going on in our personal lives and I think by that point we'd both moved on in our minds, but neither wanted to make the end official. She caught me off guard (though I was ready for it) the final time I went to visit her & said she wanted to end the relationship. I said fine, hugged her goodbye & left. She was leaving for Japan to teach (I think she still lives there?). I wasn't out to anyone by that point & didn't want to ruin what we had so I just left, she unfriended me from Facebook and we never spoke again. To this day I have no idea if she knows.

If I did come out to her, what I would have told her is that me being gay is in no way her fault or her doing. A friend of mine just had a girl he dated for a while come out to him as a lesbian. Even though intellectually he knows she was always was, he still can't escape the feeling it was partly his doing. If/when you come out to your long distance lady, tell her the truth & assure her of that fact. I'd explain it as though you'd been hiding left handedness.

Regarding dating, I'd just take it slow. Start with coffee where you can just talk & get to know the guy. Even with sex, start with kissing & cuddling. Break yourself in with regards to being intimate with someone else.