1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

crushing on the un-crushable

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SocceRoo, Jan 21, 2015.

1. SocceRoo

So here goes....

I'm a male 19 year old bisexual (still figuring it out).

I have a friend I've known since year 7 (7-8 years now), even though we haven't spent much time together like most friends, due to distance, we've always been good friends, in the last few years he has been my best friend and now I have a crush on him.... :dry:

My problem is he is most likely straight, there's no way to tell if he is "into" men unless he tells me or comes out, I'm not ready to tell him I'm Bi and plus I don't want to ruin our friendship.

I don't know what his opinion is on homosexuality is, but he would most likely be comfortable about it considering he has at least 1 bi and gay friend (not me).

If I asked him (or he tells) and he says he is bi or gay what should I do? should I tell him I'm bi?

If he's not then how do I deal with my feelings?

any replies would be greatly appreciated :help:

#1 SocceRoo, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  2. Lanker

Well, if he doesn´t take the first step, you should. Tell him you´re bi (or that you´re still figuring that out) and see how it goes from there. Just don´t directly ask about his sexuality, since that can create some awkward situations.

Oh, and if you´re sure that he´s comfortable with homosexuality, you shouldn´t worry too much about ruining your friendship. Good luck :icon_wink

#2 Lanker, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  3. SocceRoo

Thanks for the reply "Lanker".

I guess the biggest worry isn't about telling him, its that I have a crush on him and if he is straight and found out I have a crush on him I don't know how he would react.

I also found out an hour ago he moving to another state at the end of the year and he is joining the military :tears: :bang:

4. Edges

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    If he's comfortable with the topic, I think it would be fairly safe for you to come out to him. There is no way he can find out you have a crush on him if you don't tell him, so you shouldn't worry too much about that.
    If things don't work out, just remember that a crush is just a crush.

5. Dakeli27

I can definitely sympathize. I've definitely had my fair share of crushes on strait boys and lesbian girls. Deciding whether or not to come out to him is definitely a hard choice. I think it would probably be best to come out to him before you ask him if he's bi or gay, and whether or not he likes you, but that's a choice that requires a lot of knowledge about your situation and your friend, so you should probably decide that yourself. That being said, even if he's straight, you should eventually let him know that you like him. Tell him you know he doesn't like you romantically, and that you don't want him to treat you differently, but that you want him to know. Having the support of someone you have a crush on, even if they aren't romantically interested in you, is one of the best ways to deal with crushes.

6. SocceRoo

Thanks guys.
    I'll keep that in mind "Dakeli27", thanks for the advice. I'm not sure if I'm ready to tell him that I'm bi yet but I'm sure ill work my way up to it.

I can't be sure that he'll be accepting if I told him I have a crush on him. I know he has a gay and a bi friend but I don't know how he acts around them because I've never seen them hangout together. anyway I'm sure he wouldn't overreact or anything um just nervous.
    :icon_wink

7. Mero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Maybe ask him to go have a cup of coffee or some snakes before he go?
    Perhaps you could tell him that you have a thing for him then, but that's a bit too much to ask you to do.
    How much time do you still have?
    I understand your nervousness, I have my fair share of crushes, heh.
    I'm thinking more on the long term, so just try to figure out more things about him.
    Good luck!

8. SocceRoo

well as far as I know he doesn't go to the military college till the start of next year (just guessing), but at least 10 months but he'll be away for at least a year and most likely a lot more than that.

9. Alive

I came out to one of my close friends because I had a crush on her. It was a simple "to be honest I have a crush on you" type of thing. She was flattered by it, but she is sadly straight. If he is a close friend of yours hopefully he won't be weird out by it.

10. SocceRoo

thanks Alive.

he just posted a status saying
    "feeling horny with [name]" (a male friend I think he is straight)
    "Oh bb" and a captioned meme saying "[name of random]: I can make u a BAD GIRL FOR A WEKEND"

This is the reason I get confused. I think he's joking but even still it seems a little homo. yet this is the reason he is my best friend he makes me laugh even when I'm depressed XD

11. m e l v i n

you should tell him first that you're bi, but don't tell him yet that you have a crush on him.. you might risk losing him, or he might get awkward or something.. you see, having a crush is just a temporary feeling for most of the time..i know how you feel.. i'm gay and i'm not out too.. i have lots of straight friends, and they are really close and really nice to me,in fact i know they will accept me if i come out.. sometimes though, they are just so sweet to me (lol) and "flirts" (you know what i mean) with me and yeah, i get a crush on them big time, sometimes i even mistake it for love.. but hey, that feeling is just normal, you'll realize it's not really that kind of affection that you feel for him, you just admired him for something he did, like he talks to you a lot or maybe he's been extra nice to you one day or maybe you just suddenly thought he's cute.. don't worry, you'll get over it after a while, after a couple of weeks or maybe a couple of months, but it's ok.. you'll realize that was a silly feeling you felt, and he's a really good friend and you don't wanna lose him for a temporary crush.. all the straight friends i've had crush on before, now i look at them like brothers, so i hope this will work for you.. just wait until the feeling is gone :slight_smile: telling him you're bi is another story though, i think you should tell him if you trust him :slight_smile:

having crushes is a good thing though, it's a crazy but nice experience haha.. it feels good to like someone, so don't worry about crushes, that's normal :slight_smile:

12. SocceRoo

Thanks melvin I think I needed that (*hug*). I kinda hope the crush goes away eventually but at the same time I don't. :icon_wink

I already decided I'll tell him I'm bi, but I feel like I will chicken out when I do :eusa_doh:. maybe I should have a few drinks (1-2) then tell him?? I kinda feel like that would help but potentially be bad idea?? :confused:

13. m e l v i n

exactly! :slight_smile: you don't want it to go away.. but it will go in time if a good friendship is all that it could be, especially if you find a more "crushable", more obtainable crush :wink:

and no, don't tell him over a drink.. i did it once, and they we're all drunk (my friends) and they thought i was joking and they kidded too and said they're gay as well.. (lol, i should have recorded that).. i think they we're too drunk to even understand something at all because they don't even remember that i said that the day after xD and hey, don't be scared that you'll chicken out.. i think what you're being scared of is that "he will instantly know you have a crush on him if you tell him you're bi" and not that "he will not accept you being bi".. not just because you're bi means you'll crush on every girl and boy you meet, right? :slight_smile: so go ahead.. i know i'm not the right person to tell you this because i'm not even out yet too.. but be brave, i know it will go well for you :wink:

14. SocceRoo

Haha, ok thanks. :icon_wink

yea I hope your right.

yea I thought something like that might happen if I had some drinks which is why I said it could be a bad idea.
    hehe Thank you (*hug*)

15. m e l v i n

anytime :wink: wishing you luck buddy :slight_smile:

16. raiden04

raiden04 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello fellow Adelaidian!

I can definitely sympathise with how you're feeling right now. The only two guys I've ever *really* liked were both straight friends of mine. I used to hold on to the hope that maybe, just maybe, they were gay. The first friend would do things similar to what your friend did with the Facebook status. In the end he started dating one of my best girl friends at the time and I was forced to accept he wasn't gay. The exact same thing happened with my other friend (that I liked) too.

Anyway I didn't say that to discourage you from coming out to him or anything, nor am I saying there's no chance he's gay. I just think it'd be safer for you to accept that he may very well be straight.

In saying that, it sounds like he would be totally fine with you being bi. My advice is that you should come out to him and see what happens after that. If he is in fact bi/gay chances are he'll feel comfortable telling you.

The above is an ideal scenario and things might not go that way. If he isn't bi/gay it'll suck and you'll feel pretty crappy for a while (depending on how much you like this guy) but the important thing to remember is that you WILL get past it. We all do eventually. If you value his friendship then you'll stick around and the feelings you have for him will slowly dissipate but if it'd be too difficult, then I'd suggest avoiding him as much as possible. It makes things easier in my experience.

Good luck, let us know how you fare :slight_smile:

#16 raiden04, Jan 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  17. SocceRoo

Thanks raiden04.

So I decided to stay at his house for a few days. I didn't tell him and didn't want to yet, until I got there. I probably would have told him if the situation was right but we mainly sat in his room playing computer games. He also was in a bad mood/depressed so I thought it would've been bad timing. also once again he wouldn't talk about it so I never figured out why he is upset v.v

All up I don't have a bad a crush on him as I thought but I still couldn't stop thinking about him :3.

18. Sh1f73r

Try seeing how he handles space around guys, gays/bi will tend to be a bit closer. I kinda do the same thing. If he ends up gay,and your ready, just tell him your bi(if your leaning to guys, I gays you could tell him your "gay") and you like him. Don't rush it,but don't hesitate too much or you can miss an opportunity, if it just not meant to be, then yea, its not meant to be.
    Good Luck Bro.

#18 Sh1f73r, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  19. raiden04

raiden04 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There's no rush really, you'll tell him eventually.

20. SocceRoo

Thanks guys
    sh1f73r
    yea I was doing that a bit to see how he would react, but like I said it was bad timing. He was a little depressed or upset and he did't talk much v.v.

raiden04
    yea I know, at the time I felt like telling him (which I didn't think I would).

The most random and awesome thing happened to me the other day. A gay guy I met from my school just messaged me out of the blue and we started talking till 2 AM in the morning :3. He's a really nice guy, we got on well and I think he's crushing on me, but unfortunately he's not really my type (or at least he wasn't my type when I met him 3-4 years ago). Another thing is he thinks I'm straight. 3: anyway talking to him has helped me get over my crush a little bit more and I made a friend I might one day be able to talk too about gay things/problems ^_^

<====<< <====<< yay not feeling depressed at the moment ^_^ ( if there was a party on next door I'd jump the fence (actually 4 fences lol) and dance like crazy :grin:)