1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does coming out get easier over time?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by geroni211, Jan 22, 2015.

1. geroni211

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've been wondering this for a while, because, right now i get shaky and really anxious when i'm about to come out to a friend ( And i haven't even tried family!). If it dosent get easier, then my life is going to be a emotional rollercoaster :icon_redf

2. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, trust me you reach a point where telling someone is no biggie. And this anxiety is totally normal, it happened to me too. Having other people find out is the not so great part...it makes you pretty freaked out. Not that many people really know or seem to care about my orientation so yeah, I wouldn't worry so much about it. Don't let it drag you down and most importantly don't feel like you need to tell everyone, let it be a gradual process so you can adjust.

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It definitely does seem to get easier, every time you come out, you build confidence and positive reactions (most are) are a great boost to that confidence.

4. Aro

Aro

As people are saying, it does get easier. Even if you are new to it like I am. Having people gradually accept you proves that things don't necessarily have to change and they won't view you differently. (Or at least as differently as you want them to, rather) So it brings comfort. It makes you more confident in being able to share that part of yourself. Here's to hoping that you find that confident, shining part of you soon and the anxiety melts away! Good luck!

5. BiErik

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The reason why you get nervous even thinking about it is because you are in the process of coming out to yourself. Once you embrace your identity you'll find that it is easier than its like butter.

The thing I struggled with was being angry. There were a few stages for me. But now I'm as comfortable telling somebody I'm gay as I am telling them that I'm tall.

6. Sh1f73r

I let myself "slip" sometimes.

7. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, it gets easier, if for no other reason than you get used to it, and there are fewer people to worry about finding out your previous "secret".

8. geroni211

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    thank god. I can't wait for the moment when telling someone i'm gay is easy. That will feel a lot easier.

9. dray7

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I first came out, I messaged a friend over facebook and my hands were shaking so badly I could hardly type. Now a lot of the times, I forget to come out entirely, and I'll just mention something and people will say "you're gay?" and it takes me a moment to realize I said anything in the first place. It takes a bit, but it gets so much easier.

10. hat123

It definitely will get easier over time. I have just recently come out to basically every people I know in my school (2 weeks) and now when people asked, "are you seriously gay?" I'm just like "Yes, I am. So, about this *insert topic here* ...."

11. GhostNeko

It gets so much easier over time. Because you learn to not only accept it,(I had to come out to myself.) you learn that you shouldn't keep it in a bottle.

12. chocolate dream

When i first came out i wrote a letter to my sister and then was dreading facing her! I cant imagine i wouldnt do something like that face to face now!
    Its not as hard as it was to come out but i still struggle getting the words out.The last person i told was a close friend at work.I went round to his flat and was determind i wasnt leaving till id said it.I already knew he suspected and i knew hed be fine with it but i still hesitated and kept putting it off as long as possible.Guess its cos id built myself up to it.
    Think idve been better off just casually talking about women i fancied!

13. Images and Words

the more you do it, the easier it gets. Its like most things in life.
    As for being nervous, everyone does. Just do it when you're ready. I'm sure your friends will accept you, though

14. DeviantAttitude

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I would say it does get easier.
    Our confidence grows with time and acceptance among your peers grows as well.
    Also in our (Portuguese) society people are more likely to accept. Our country is not as conservative even though we, as a country, are very religious. So we got that going for us which is nice.

(*hug*) Hoorah for Portugal (*hug*)