1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to sister email

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ANewDawn, Jan 22, 2015.

1. ANewDawn

So this is the email I was gonna send my younger sister who is in school abroad. It's a little long, but do you guys think it's okay?

Dear -----.

I'm so nervous right now...

So this email is pretty difficult for me to write and I'm sure it will be difficult for you to read. I wish I could tell you in person but you're not here and I just want to be honest about myself with you.

It's taken me a long time to get to this place but I've finally come to terms with the fact that I'm gay. I'm sure you're surprised and confused - I was too when I first realized there was a word for how I've felt my whole life. I've always been different and uncomfortable in my own skin without understanding why. When I was in 10th grade I couldn't handle the thoughts I was having and freaked out in a big way before locking myself in denial. I didn't think it was possible since I was religious and people made it sound like those two facts were mutually exclusive. Since coming home and being honest that religion is not for me, I've slowly been allowing myself to accept that this is a part of me that is never going to change and it's not something I should feel guilty or ashamed about.

I'm hesitant about telling you this because I'm sure you've been taught all the bad things about gay people that I was - that it's an abomination, immoral, a threat to religious freedom. It's not. It's just the way some people are born, and is an expression of love just like for anyone else. Nothing else about me has changed, I'm not a different person now because you know this about me. I've struggled with depression for years and being open about this is really important for me in working to beat all the negative feelings.

It's been hard recently, between feeling incredibly lonely, like there's no one else in the word I know that can relate, and Mom's reaction. I told her and Dad last week - Dad was relatively chilled about it but Mom is really angry at me. I know she just needs time to get used to the idea like I did, and I'm sure you will too, it's just a little hurtful that she's acting like this is the worst thing I could have done to her. This is not something I did or would choose for myself but it's the way G-d created me and I have to believe that He doesn't make mistakes and wants me to be happy. At the same time I cannot subscribe to a religion that says the things it does about people like me.

You may not know how to handle this right now, or even be angry, and I understand. I just hope that you remember I'll always be your sister and I'll always love you no matter what. If you want to call me or email me back that's fine, if not it's ok too.

Love, -----

2. Really

That looks really well written. It's not too long. You covered all the big points without being overwhelming.
    A+ :slight_smile:

3. NewKid87

As someone who just recently came out to my sister (albeit in person), I can relate a lot to what you're going through right now.

This is an excellent letter. You've laid out what you're feeling very clearly. I wouldn't cut anything; the last paragraph is especially important. You're being patient, empathetic, but not apologetic. This is a gutsy thing to do. I'm rooting for you. Good luck!