1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

want to come out but cant

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by davidguitar20, Jan 23, 2015.

1. davidguitar20

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My name is stephen. I am only out to my gay friends. I am too scared to tell my family and friends, what should i do?

2. CrazyAwkward

Hi Stephen. Welcome to EC.

Have your family and friends given you reason to believe they wouldn't be accepting? Have any of your gay friends come out? If they have, how did people around you react? Assuming you live in the same area/go to the same school as your friends.

3. davidguitar20

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My family and friends are christians. im afraid that if i tell my parents they will kick out and my friends wont hang out with me anymore

4. CrazyAwkward

Being christian doesnt necessarily mean they are homophobic. But I understand that fear. I put off coming out to my grandma for a long time because she is devoutly catholic and I was afraid she'd hate me or think less of me, but she ended up being totally cool with it.

Your parents are completely different people though, and you know them best. Have they ever expressed extremely homophobic views before? If that's the case, and you have good reason to believe that they would disown you, then waiting until you are not dependent on them before coming out would be the safest thing to do.
    Can you give an example of something they've said that makes you afraid of telling them?

5. davidguitar20

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My parents always get mad when they hear that homosexuals are getting more rights. So i wont tell them untill later in life. I cant tell my friends because i dont want to lose them

6. CrazyAwkward

I know it's hard to lose friends, but when you think about it, if they wouldn't like you for being who you are, then are they really your friends? Still, even with that in mind it might not be a good idea to tell them. It is possible they would spread the word to the point that it would get back to your parents. If keeping them in the dark until later is your best option, that is something you should be careful of. I'm sorry you're stuck in this position.

7. davidguitar20

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    thanks for the advice. for now im ok with being out to any gay friends i make

8. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are they real Christians who live the life of love, tolerance, and acceptance of people, or just the phony kind who parse phrases in the Bible to justify whatever kind of antisocial behavior they practice?

If they are the former, then they should accept you as you are, particularly since you are their child and they should love you, no matter what. If they are the latter, you should probably keep silent until you are living independently and away from them, preferably not in Texas.

The friends don't matter as much; the ones worth keeping will accept you as you are, just as the gay ones do.