1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm so disgusted by my youth pastor!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Cheese Love, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Cheese Love

Sorry, I need to vent.

So in my youth group as well as my school, I know a boy named Neil. My best friend and I have always assumed he was gay. Not in a rude way at all, we're both gay ourselves.
    Anyway, we just kind of knew it. I've heard people call him that all the time, too :frowning2:

Anyway, we aren't fond of our YP which is why we stopped going to youth group. However, we still do puppets so we hang out in the youth groom until we have to leave. Right after school, we were down there when I noticed Neil and my YP talking.

My best friend and I, sorry to say, couldn't help but hear what they were saying.
    Neil told him in a shaky voice, "...I think I might be a homosexual."

And my Youth Pastor made the biggest jackass out of himself!
    From what we could hear:
    IT'S SINFUL, unnatural, it just "freaks him out", says that pro-gay christians use propaganda, etc...

Whenever someone needs to "talk" about something, it's implied that they'll go somewhere quiet, usually in my YP's office. BUT NO, he didn't have the decency to take Neil anywhere else than a room with people five feet near by.

And I feel horrible for Neil :frowning2:
    If my YP had told this to me, It would have made me sooo much more depressed.

I occasionally see Neil in the hallway- otherwise just at church. I really want to just pull him aside and talk to him, but that'd be out of place obviously.. Considering I wasn't supposed to hear anything. That, and I don't know him super well.

I'm just mad, I guess. I know religious people often oppose homosexuality, but are they always blunt and rude like that?!
    I didn't hear any "God still love's you" or "I still love you" or anything like that... Just that what you are is unnatural and you need to change.

Seriously, I'm contemplating buying "For the Bible Tells me So" on DVD and slipping it to him.

Ah, sorry.. Just needed to vent about this.

2. acorn7

Honestly, I would pull him aside and tell him it's OK and life is great and everything you want to tell him. You say you know him, so it's not some random stranger. You overheard, so what, if it's to help he won't be mad at you for hearing. Of course tell him you're gay (lesbian) too, so he'll feel a connection with you.

I mostly recommend this because, in all likelihood, he made a BIG effort to talk to someone about it and that person completely destroyed him for it. That means not only will he'll feel like crap about being gay, he'll be afraid of talking about it with more people.

Finally, giving him For the Bible Tells Me So is indeed a very good idea, or at least summarize! :slight_smile: That documentary is so effing good.

That's my opinion.

3. Cheese Love

You're right...

If someone had pulled me aside I would have felt sooo much better. I'm definitely going to think abou trying to talk to him- since I don't see him that much, I should try to get his email.

4. GuitarGirl1350

I would pull him aside, tell him I overheard and briefly appologize, then tell him the million things wrong with what the YP told him. Assure him he is still loved. He's probably very, very upset by the YP's reaction and likely depressed. I'd hate to see anyone become extremely depressed over something like this. You need to do something. Do not sit idly by.

This is also why I stopped going to Youth Group.

5. Paralyzer

I completely agree with acorn7

I can't help but feel he's in pieces after working the courage up to talking to someone he thought he could trust and have that person humiliate him. When I was first coming out, I would have loved to have someone tell me everything's okay.. I pretty much got a cold shoulder from my "trusted friends". This kid got a public execution :[

6. Bunny

Ugh, poor guy. It must have been so disappointing to have someone react that way.

You should totally talk to him. D:

7. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Absolutely talk to him. Don't pressure him to come out to anyone, don't dump too much on him all at once, but I would get a private talk with him at the next opportunity. You don't even have to bring him into a separate room, just some quiet support out of hearing range for other people.

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yes! He needs to hear from an understanding person right now! Please talk to him.

Now for your ass of a youth pastor.........is he employed by your school? If he is, you need to make a complaint. What he did was totally inappropriate.

9. cm25

cm25 Guest

Talkl to him, he needs someone. It only takes one person to make a difference, stranger or not.

10. Cheese Love

Unfortunately he's employed by my church and his behavior would be deemed acceptable there.

And you guys are right- next time I get a chance I'm definitely going to try to talk to him.

11. Myke

Myke Guest

I agree with what's been said. You should definitely talk to him and make sure he's doing okay. Make sure he feels comfortable and that you are always there if he needs someone to talk to.

12. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    So he said this at church or in your school? I'm confused.:confused:

13. cm25

cm25 Guest

What I got out of it is that it is at church and they have a youth group there that u can go to after school if u want

14. isnessofwhatis

Youth pastors have such tremendous power. I feel so sorry for Neil.

I was sexually abused when I was 7/8 years old. When I was 14 I was having a really hard time dealing with it so I talked to my youth pastor. Guess what he told me? He told me it was MY fault because I was old enough to do something about it. The thing is that at the time I told him (16 years ago) he had a daughter who was 7. Would he look into her face and tell her that if she was sexually abused that it was her fault? I think this incident (and several others similar to it but with different adult men) made it more difficult for me to come out because I thought if I can just get over it and my anger towards male authority figures I would be straight. I got over it and even forgave him (and the others) but I am still a lesbian.

The vast majority of youth pastors are good but there are a few who are so out of line and really mess kids up.

15. Myke

Myke Guest

I think she meant the boy is in her youth group and goes to her school as well.

16. Gumtree

If i were you I would be pulling aside both him and your YP.

17. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Talk to him. He didn't deserve that kind of reaction he got for his youth pastor. :frowning2:

18. Absentminded

Talk to him, he deserves it, nobody should have to get that reaction. Chances are he really DID make a huge effort to someone he thought he could trust, and it backfired. Just let him know that you're there for him, and if he ever needs someone to talk to, just to let you know or something like that. It'll help a lot.

19. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Oh that makes me sick! How could a youth pastor say that? These people can say the cruelest thing to kids. When my niece was 5 a Sunday School teacher told her that if she didn't "behave" she would go to hell.

20. MLCarr

Wow, that sounds REALLY familiar! I did the same thing, I thought my youth pastor would you know, actually care about me. So one day I went and talked to him (he was 26, really nice). I ended up coming out of the situation more depressed, lost, confused and hurt than ever before. I also had a meeting set up with him, and my pastor and a threat that if I didn't show up my parents would have to come too.

What did that do to me? Well I haven't attended more than a Easter or Christmas service since. I miss church horribly, but I cann't stand being so alone.

If someone had handed me the "the Bible tells me so" DVD I would have been so grateful. I would have been embarassed, but at least then I would know the truth. It took me three years after this incident to find that DVD and accept that they were just closed minded and that I was not going straight (pardon the pun...) to hell.