1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some Tips About Coming Out? - Bisexual

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Patient4479, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Patient4479

:help:
    Hello fellow people!

(I'm just going to apologize in advance for any crucial grammer mistakes or typos as my native language is german, so please don't be harsh!)

Puh... I guess I have to explain my situation now, don't I? Ok lets get this started:
    First of all, I'm out to all of my friends and basically half of my class and I haven't received any negativ coments whatsoever, which I'm really glad for! But I figured I should probably start with some serious plans, regarding coming out to my Parents (and eventually my 18 year old brother). It's pretty simple how my family thinks about LGBTQ people:

Mom: Worked in the fashion branche for 15 years. At least half of her Bosses were gay. She has absolutley no problem with LGBTQ-People.

Dad: He basically doesn't give a fuck. He is a really suportiv towards me and if asked about LGBTQ-Rights he honetsly answers: "The state doesn't have a single right to tell people who they're allowed to love. And I don't know about you, but I've never had a gay person talking rude to me. Why would I have something against them?"

Brother: He always says I'm goning to end up with a girl, because "no guy would want you". He'd probably die of laughter.

So the situation seems really nice, right? At least I don't have to go through the fear, that some of you poor people have to deal with. I'm not afraid they'll kick me out. But I bet they're just not going to belive me! Simple as that! They haven't met someone who had there coming out at my age, so they'll assume I'm just 'curious'.

Did any of you guys had to go through a similar sitution? Where you were sure, your parents wouldn't take you serious? How did it end? I'd be thankfull for any kind of advise and I hope I'll get some.

Thanks in advance,
    Caroline

2. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Explain them the process of realizing your bisexuality and be assertive. Also you should sound serious, like you are saying something important to them and you appreciate their understanding responses. If they still don't believe you, be honest, tell them how you feel when they don't take you seriously. That's what I did with my mother. "The fact that you don't believe me is frustrating. That's important to me and it wasn't easy to confess, I'm serious." It worked just fine! :wink:

3. asexualzebra

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely be assertive. Stay strong in your beliefs and opinions. Also, have resources for them if you need to. And test their response before you come out. Somehow ask about their personal views. What I did was ask "So what do you know about asexuality?" (I'm aro ace), filled in the blanks for them, then came out. It worked out really well for me.

4. Patient4479

Hello,

and thanks a lot for the good tips! I'm definitley going to use them!
    But I figured that my problem might be, about being assertive. I get really emotional from time to time and when I tell my parents abot something so important I might start to cry (yeah I'm a wimp...) and I'll look unsure... Do you know a way, to maybe get rid of the emotional heavy part of that conversation? I had thought about leaving them a letter.
    What do you think?

Sending a hug to you both,
    Caroline (*hug*)

5. Rosie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Being emotional about it just shows that this is a really big thing for you, so it might actually help your case.

6. ANewDawn

I agree with Rosie that crying might work in your favor. But if you really don't want that to happen a lot of ppl come out in letters. EC has a bunch of examples that you can check out for ideas. Good luck!

7. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *hugs back*

Why is it a problem to cry a bit? I know no ways to stop that... if it comes, it comes. :slight_smile:

8. soulcatcher

If they don't believe you, then *facepalm*.