1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Life is toooo short to waste.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by gayausdude, Oct 30, 2008.

1. gayausdude

Hello fellow EC'ers

I recently came out to my mum, and it was one of those typical coming outs. it went fine, not worth writing a story up because its just as usual as the others. :dry:
    ANYWAY
    My grandma passed away a few years ago, and she was the most awesome grandma you could hope for. She would take us down the river in her monaro for a swim... a Monaro is a Australian muscle car for all you people up north of the equator, its not really a typical granny car :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    She would do anything with all us grandkids.

Anywho, I was always petrified of coming out to her, because she was a very well mannered, quiet, hmm i don't even know how to explain it. She was from the generation where the husband went out to work whilst she stayed home and did the house chores etc.
    Long story short I didn't think she would EVER be fine with it.

But since telling my mum, the ONLY thing she really said apart from the usual stuff is she wished her mum was alive so we could tell her, because mum knows grandma would have been fine with it

Now I'm beating myself up for it. i wasted any chance to tell my grandma all on the assumption that she wouldn't approve.

I just hope that someone takes the chance I now don't have...

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    That's great advice but try not to be remorseful that you didn't tell your Grandma. I bet she knows. :slight_smile:

3. Louise

You can't change the past so there is no point beating yourself up over it, all you can do is not make the same mistake in the future. I'm sure you grandma knows and is happy for you.

4. kramer362

The Monaro is called Pontiac GTO in the states, and yeah it's definitely not a typical granny car haha. Personally I like it a lot more than the mustang but the GTO sold a fraction of what mustangs did and was discontinued in 2006... We Americans have crappy taste in cars :dry:

Anywho, I wouldn't dwell on not telling your grandma- look forward, not backward .
    And maybe it can make you think that it's worth coming out to more people in your life because you might feel the same regret if you miss an opportunity. You're more likely to regret something you DIDN'T do, than if you gave something a shot.

Of course I have trouble taking my own advice...

#4 kramer362, Oct 30, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  5. lawlst

I agree with Kramer, in that, this may be opening your eyes towards opportunities left in our world.

I'm sorry to hear of your ill-feelings, I hope things brighten up 'your side of the globe.

6. sdc91

I feel the same way about whether or not I should tell my grandma. I'm sorry your chance passed, but maybe she knew.

I like Holdens... Now we have the Holden Commodore, which is the Pontiac G8 here in the states. I've only seen one, though. lol, I can't ignore a car conversation.

7. MLCarr

I bet you your grandma already knows. And I am sure that she still loves you, and is probably saying "now lets see where his life takes him" while sitting in a rocking chair watching you. She'll give you a big hug when you go meet her, hopefully not too soon though!

Until then, smile, keep your chin up, and keep living your life. After all, you do still have a full life to live!