1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Experiences with Facebook

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by PATenor2, Jan 25, 2015.

1. PATenor2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This morning I got a friend confirmation from Facebook for someone that I don't know. I don't remember having sent this guy a friend request. This has happened before with other people, and I usually decline the request, or de-friend the person. This morning however, I checked out this guy's FB page, and we would appear to have a lot in common; same ethnicity, same nationality, same age range, same religion, heck I even know some of his friends. He has a son and a grandchild, and he appears to be gay, or at least gay-friendly (based on his FB Likes; his profile does list him as single). I'm going to be in his town on Tuesday on some personal business and was thinking of asking him to meet somewhere for coffee or for a drink.

Is this a good idea? Is it too soon after becoming FB friends? Am I coming off as needy or desperate? I really would like to know this guy as a REAL friend not just on FB, and not necessarily in any kind of romantic way, although I'd certainly be open to that.

I'm new to this, and would appreciate your thoughts.

2. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People add friends on facebook for many reasons. He could of just added you to add more friends nothing more. But whatever his intentions are I think it's fine to ask if he wants to meet you.

3. PATenor2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, I did ask the guy if he wanted to meet, and he said "That sounds good to me". So we're having coffee after I finish up my errands. Cool.

4. PATenor2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Coffee was great! Guy could have been my twin! My soul-mate at least. We had so much in common. A few years back I was even his adopted son's boss (I never made the connection). There is one problem however. In July he is moving to San Francisco and is joining a Franciscan monastic order, and even though they're not a Catholic order, they still take a vow of celibacy. Oh well, maybe he'll pray for me.

5. gogreen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's pretty cool! Too bad on the monastery thing, though. Interesting life choice. Can you still keep in touch?

6. PATenor2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    He says he wants to keep in touch and will be back in PA several times a year for his family. So we shall see. The Spirit moves in mysterious ways.