1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catholic views on transgender people?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sammy0412, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Sammy0412

My mum is quite a strict Catholic, and I really want to come out as transgender to her and my dad (I know my dad would be accepting, but I don't want to tell one and not the other). I was just wondering if anyone on here knows what the average Catholic view is on transgender people.
    Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you. :slight_smile:

2. ThroughTheMist

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't know the official view of the Church, but I watched a brief documentary about two MtF trans kids, and one went to a Catholic school until she socially transitioned. (link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI_kcwkaNrI)The view of the school superintendent was that "God doesn't make mistakes." Keep in mind, this is just one person's view. Other Catholics may think differently. I was raised in the Catholic church, and I'm hesitant to even talk about questioning my gender identity. I think most of the Catholics I know would treat any LGBT+ person decently, even if they don't agree with what the person is doing. Hope this helps!

3. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I agree with troughthemist that Catholics are called to treat everyone decently, with love. But the Catholic Church also says that homosexuality is "intrinsically disordered. Of course, it says that about masturbation to, but that tends to get overlooked. But your real concern isn't so much what the church teaches, which is that we are to treat everyone with love (look at how Mother Teresa loved the dying homosexuals that she picked up on the streets of Calcutta, as an example), but rather how your parents are going to react. There are no "average catholics," but rather there is a spectrum that goes from open and loving all the way to harsh and judgmental. So just reflect some on what you have observed of how your parents are, and how they treat people, and you'll have your answer.