1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two Problems. (Pills)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JT, Oct 30, 2008.

1. JT

JT

:bang::bang::bang::bang:So, I have two problems on my hand. Both are involving my friends. One male, one female.

Boy A has been my friend for probably upwards of 8 years. We grew up together and went to school together for a while. He moved to a different school district probably 6 years ago, but we still remained friends.

We spend a good amount of time together, and we both enjoy smoking weed together... Problem is, he's delving into more dangerous areas. A couple months ago, he started taking Hydrocodone recreationally. Not really a big deal (to me at least). But in the past three weeks, he's gone on to Oxycontin. I'm not really big on pills, but I'm pretty sure that Oxycontin has a pretty good ability to get people addicted to it. As it's synthesized heroin, more or less.... I don't want him to keep doing Oxy. I don't want to see my best friend become a slave to a drug. I don't want to see him blow his whole fucking future on some retarded recreational drug. I've told him to stop, and that it's gonna screw him over in the long run. HOw do I get through to him?

Okay, so now onto girl A... Girl A and I met over the summer. She's a really good person, and fun to hang around. I deeply care for her, but in the past couple of weeks, she's been kind of irrational with her decision making. In that a couple weeks ago, she took it upon herself to ingest a bottle of pills while she was on a road trip. Not with the intention of suicide, and not to get high. She wanted attention. As far as I'm concerned, she's upset over the fact that she can't have what she wants. And that's our mutual gay friend... In any case, she was admitted to the hospital and was released two days later, if memory recalls correctly.
    And even more recently, she did something exponentially worse... She had popped 48 pills, yes... 48 pills. A combination of sleeping pills and Benadryl. The reason I believe is the same as the last time. She took all those pills and drove. And not by herself, but with a friend of ours in the car. What the f***.
    I'm really pissed at her, but I can't say everything I want to because she's extremely unstable. I don't know to what extent I can go. But if she pulls something like this again, I think I'd have to stop speaking to her. What can I say to her?! This is easily the most ridiculous situation I've ever been in my life... :bang: :bang:

2. tashyyy

wow
    thats pretty f***ed up
    its not fair on you, theyre putting you in this situation
    your friend (Boy A) really should listen to you, your doing what any good friend would do, your caring about him
    and he should see that
    as or Girl A, she obviously wants attention for a reason
    wheather you know what the reason is or not
    but you must try your best, if you can
    to stop her from taking pills
    or somehow get it into her head that they just wont help
    pills dont feed you attention
    and to be honest
    i dont know what to say now
    but im listening to you :slight_smile:
    <3

3. Gumtree

A simple answer to a simple problem.

You are not responsible in any way for what these people do with their lives. No matter what you say or do it will always be their decision.

What you can do is choose who you associate with and how (I don't say that in a mean way).

If either of these people are putting other people at risk or even themselves (in the suicide sense) then it's time you contact tthe authorities.

Tell you're friends what they're getting into, the risks involved and what you think about it. Other then that there is nothing you can do.

It's not your responsibility, it shouldn't be your guilt and your not obliged to be there for them if they're not in a stable and risk free state.

4. Jim1454

I can understand why you'd be upset. Neither situation is a good one.

Both of these people do need help, and you have recognized this. The problem is that neither of them will get or accept help if THEY don't recognize they need it. That's the challenge. The drunk (or drug addict, or workaholic, or sex addict) is usually the last person that recognizes that they have a problem. Addictions work that way. Not because these people are stupid, but because they've developed a way of coping with the problems in their life that isn't particularly logical or rational. But they don't see that.

If you're good friends with Boy A, why not challenge him to stop. Just for 90 days. If he insists that these pills aren't a problem, and he's not hooked, then challenge him to stop using them just temporarily - see if he's able to. He likely isn't. Let him know that there is help out there - like NA (narcotics anonymous) where he could go to talk to others that have had a problem and have managed to find a solution.

With Girl A, she needs to be in therapy or counselling. Again - you need to be clear and honest with her. You are willing to help her, but only if she's willing to help herself. The 'solutions' that she continues to employ simply aren't appropriate - they are counter productive in a really big way - and she needs to find a more productive way to deal with life's disappointments.

Good luck.