1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I think I'm gonna come out to my best friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by whww123, Jan 26, 2015.

1. whww123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Okay lol I'm gonna try.
    I already kind of told my best friend that I liked men before, but I had lied and said, in verbatim, "I LIKE THINK I MIGHT BE BISEXUAL" :bang: (I was drunk)

So I think he'll take it well. I think I'm just gonna tell him and my other close friend this week. She's gonna be very supportive. After they pep me up, I'll tell my other close friend, who is actually gay himself. I feel like when I have those 3 behind me, I can do anything: like tell my family.

I'm sick of being in the closet, I want to start dating men and stop pretending to like women. It's just not cutting it for me anymore.

I think my gay best friend's gonna be the most shocked, by the way. :grin:
    I know he'll be supportive, though. Maybe I should tell him and his boyfriend? Thoughts?

Any tips? I'm just gonna tell them because they're my best friends and I'm gonna need to eventually come out, so why not just kinda push myself to do it.

I turn 25 next month, so it'll be like a milestone in my life and hopefully one day I can look back at it and be like, "Wow, you took forever to come out, but look at you now!"

EC community, give me a lot of encouragement, I'm gonna need it. (&&&)

2. method

At this point all I'm gonna give you is encouragement cause you already know what to do. Good luck - these are exciting times :grin:

3. Rosie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good luck. :grin:

4. whww123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks guys. :slight_smile: I think I'm not gonna be over dramatic about it, I'm gonna tell them how it is and I know they'll understand. I feel like my gay best friend is gonna be the long talk, because I'm probably gonna cry. Hahah.

I know I can bring myself to tell them, because I know they love me unconditionally. So I wonder how it's gonna go when I go outside those three? :dry: lol

---------- Post added 26th Jan 2015 at 02:56 PM ----------

I feel like having some sort of action plan will help me get through this so I can start living my life. If anything happens, I'm gonna have backup plans so I'm safe in any scenario. I'm coming out to my best friend tonight, by the way. So I'll update tomorrow, because I'm staying at his place tonight and we're probably going to be playing Monopoly. :eusa_danc

Love you guys. (*hug*)

5. PATenor2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Good luck. Let us know how it goes! Every step you take out of your closet makes it easier to leave ours.

6. NewKid87

I'm going through the same thing you're going through right now. I know it's scary, but it sounds like you have a plan and you know what to do, so you have my full support and encouragement!

One thing I've learned in my short time on EC is that it's never too late too come out. Don't feel like this is something you have to rush, and don't feel defeated if you can't do it in the timeline you've set for yourself. You'll know when you're ready.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

7. whww123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well thanks guys.

UPDATE: So I kind of chickened out on my best friend. It was more along the lines of we hung out and were having a lot of fun and I didn't want to bring the mood down, so I may tell him before class tomorrow (we go to the same college) and see how he reacts.

Furthermore, I'm going to be hanging out with my other friend after class and I feel comfortable telling her, because I've already kind of hinted that I wanted to try being with a man, but I never told her that I'm gay.

Right now I really wish someone would hold my hand and walk me to my loved ones and tell them I'm gay. lol :help:

I'm so stressed I just want to be out and have this stress and anxiety go away. :tears:

FUTHERMORE (Again):

I really think the reason I want to come out before I commit myself to someone is I feel like I can't do this behind my family and friend's backs. I was in a hetero relationship (that didn't end well, because I'm gay lol) 2 years ago and I've been single since. Being drunk kissing drunk straight friends to get by. When I say "get by", I more so mean torture myself with the haunting truth that I'm still in the closet. It's gonna be hard and I know I'm gonna lose some people, but I feel like I'm playing Russian roulette with who I choose to come out to first.

Give me your best advice, EC. :frowning2:

#7 whww123, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  8. raiden04

raiden04 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The people you might lose aren't really people you want to keep as close friends for the rest of your life anyway though, are they?

Anyway good luck for today, you'll tell them eventually :slight_smile:

9. whww123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks, I hope so.

10. NewKid87

I can only speak for myself, but when I came out to the first person I told I thought it was going to be a heart-rending disaster. But honestly, the scariest part was all in my head - that person was so accepting and actually happy that I'd summoned the courage to tell her. This may be the case for you too. The people you're closest to might surprise you.

Again, don't feel defeated. Come out when you are ready. And keep us posted!

11. whww123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Is coming out in a text message an insincere way of doing it? I've honestly been trying to do it in person and just get it out in the open so it'll be much easier, but I can't bring myself to say it. I'm not embarrassed of being gay, so I don't know what's been holding me back. I just can't say it.

12. Aniot

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It is a way of doing things. I think the best way is to tell in person. This way you can see the real emotions of the person you are telling and so you can conclude the opinion they have. But if you think its the best way to do it, write down a text and send them when you are with them :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: You don't tell them personally, so you can't chicken out after pressing SEND, and you can tell what they are feeling.

But above all, don't pressure the coming out. DO it when you feel like it. Good luck :slight_smile:

13. whww123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well shit. I mean I guess maybe I should just tell my best friend tonight. What's the worst that can happen.

14. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Probably a lot less than you imagine. Coming out to a GAY person is usually a non-event, since they know what is going on in your head; the usual response seems to be "why didn't you tell me sooner, you dork", or "Yeah, I figured that out already."

15. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How you come out is irrelevant, it's who you come out to that matters. I came out to my youngest brother in an argument, he was left speechless for about 3 hours! but accepted me without question in the end. I came out to the rest of my family via a text. the reaction was overwhelming positive!
    The point I'm trying to make is: if the people you come out to are truly your friends the will always be your friends no matter what! How you come out is not that important.
    From my limited experience I can say the feeling of being accepted for who you really are without exception is really wonderful and liberating.
    I hope every thing goes well for you!

16. whww123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, that didn't work. I'm gonna go to therapy sometime in the coming week(s) because I think my codependency problems are clashing with my need to come out. Update that fun stuff later..

17. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I think that coming out in a text message, or some other written format like a letter, is MUCH better than getting drunk to tell someone. Getting drunk too often is not good, and nobody really knows whether or not to take us seriously when we're drunk. and we're not really sure what we said, or how people reacted when we're drunk. keep working with your therapist, and if a text, email, or letter is what you're comfortable with, I don't see a problem with it. Some people come out on facebook, but I think that might hurt a lot of people who are important to you. good luck! (&&&)

18. whww123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hahaha love your avatar.
    I'll consider the text message thing, but I'll be going to a therapist soonish (I still have to call). So we'll see what happens in the coming month.
    (*hug*)

19. whww123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Update: how do I come out if I'm too afraid to do it sober, but when I have a few drinks in me: I'm bursting at the seems to tell somebody?

Like I understand it's important to me, but I don't want to ruin their night and possibly mess up our friendship.

Such is life.
    I think I need to see a therapist. :frowning2:

20. NewKid87

I don't think coming out is something you want to do when you're drunk. People might not take you seriously, and you want to be in control of that conversation. If you want to have a drink before talking to your friend to steady your nerves, that's your call, but I'd advise against getting loaded. (Full disclosure: I had a beer before coming out to my friend. But I wasn't drunk, nor did I want to be.) If you're bursting at the seams to tell someone after a few drinks, then you'll still have the ability to tell someone when you're sober :slight_smile:

Why would coming out ruin your friend's night or mess up your friendship? You being gay isn't going to change the fact that the two of you are best friends.

You can come out in person, or in a text message, or however else you feel most comfortable doing it. Definitely talk to a therapist if you want, because a professional will know how to advise you, especially if you're struggling with other things too.

But don't feel like you HAVE to come out before you're ready. And don't think that coming out will ruin a friendship. Why would it? You're still you, and if he's truly your friend, he'll support you.

Best of luck!