1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to first family member

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kindy14, Jan 26, 2015.

1. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Came out to my first family member, my cousin who is older than I. We've always been close when we talked, and she's the most open and free spirited person I know in my family. She's also the first family person I told I was getting separated.

We had been talking about my roommate, and his current health/money issues. So, at the end of that, I said that there was something big to tell her. And just landed it flat on her. She was very supportive, even saying, yeah, well I can see how that would make it hard to stay married.

I'm dreading telling my parents. Cousin suggested I just skip it, my mom is in poor health right now, and my cousin doesn't think they would be able to process it. Which then, I really can't tell my sister, cause she's got way to big a mouth.

Ugh...

But it was a relief to talk to a family member about all that's going on in my life. She's concerned, as everyone is, about being involved so heavily with an 18 year old. But she knows me, and understands it. She's also had 2 kids with depression, and other health issues. She's been great at giving me homeopathic treatments for some of my roommates issues. She just cautioned me not to get used up caring for him.

2. Vampire

I congratulate you, good sir, for making this leap! It's great news to hear that she was very supportive. Coming out to parents seems like an issue and it really depends on how much you want to come out to them.

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out. Even telling one person makes a difference. It's very easy to focus on all of the people we have to tell and to feel quite daunted by the idea. If we get too caught up in that train of thought, it can stop us from coming out at all. One person at a time... in our own time.

4. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Thanks guys. Every person has been a little easier coming out to. My parents and sister are going to be two very tough ones. I don't even know if they would care, or not. Would help explain what I'm going through now. But, they are distant, in Connecticut, and not that involved in my life.

Sooner or later I think my sister will figure it out, especially if I start posting anything on Facebook.

Ugh... luckily I don't need to deal with that yet.