1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I explain myself?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by WyldStyle, Jan 26, 2015.

1. WyldStyle

So, I've been part of the LGBT for almost 5 years now, and I haven't really bothered coming out to many people. I used to at first but now I've been single for so long that attraction to people has been a bit insignificant in my life. I don't feel the need to explain that I'm bi-sexual to people when it's not that important of an aspect of my life.

However, as of the past year or so I've been getting in touch with my feminine side a bit more in the way I see myself and act. I've been cross dressing as a girl quite a bit, but it's all been in private except for one occasion at school when I wore a skirt and leggings to class all day just to see what would happen. Nothing happened.

I plan to be wearing clothes that are typical described as "girl's clothes" out in public a bit more often. Not really because I'm a trans or anything (I'm still trying to figure out my gender identity, but don't worry about that), more because I don't want to conform to society's gender roles. Like, I'll still be a guy (I'm fine with being a guy, I just dislike being labeled as one though...), but I'll be looking totally fabulous with skirts/ leggings/ accessories and other feminine clothing on a more regular basis.

My question for you people: How do I explain my choice of dress to people who ask? What's a good way to tell people that I'm just choosing to wear these clothes because I don't really want to conform to gender roles and stereotypes?

2. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well, if anyone asks, just tell 'em you like your clothes. If they say "Why are you wearing a skirt?" say "It's a cute skirt. I like it. Why should girls be the only ones who get to wear it?" or something. Or just say 'I don't want to conform to gender roles'. I dunno :/ This probably wasn't very helpful, but I hope everything goes well :slight_smile:

3. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't have to explain nothing. Just say you are confortable that way.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "This is what I like wearing (sometimes)."

"This is what I like wearing (sometimes)."

Lex

5. Sh1f73r

Just let yourself "slip" bit by bit.

6. NewKid87

I agree with the others who say that you don't have to explain yourself to anybody and that "This is what I like wearing (sometimes)" is a great answer. What matters is what you like, not what other people like or think you should like.

Just to add my 2 cents, I think you said it best yourself in your question! "I'm just choosing to wear these clothes because I don't really want to conform to gender roles and stereotypes." That's a perfectly valid answer, and it shows confidence.

7. WyldStyle

Thanks for the advice so far everyone, it's been a boost to my confidence for sure. My current game plan if I'm ever asked is to just be nonchalant about it. Dressing up like this shouldn't be a big deal, so I don't want to act like it's a big deal, you know?