1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The choice to come out fully...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Smiley1123, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Smiley1123

i have talked to my friends about this and I still am not sure. They have told me horror stories about what could happen. This scares me to death but I hate lying to everyone. I dream about coming out to the world but I don't know if I will ever be able to do it. Blah, I don't know what to do. Any thoughts? How was your experience? Is there a certain time period that would be the best?

2. paint

When you feel that it's the right time, then it's the right time, and then you walk around and be awesome. (!) when people see you happy, it will make them feel good too. Because you will be living life, your life. And YOU will be in control Just remember that people have opinions and beliefs that will be in conflict, but hopefully they will understand your decision and your happiness. The world is a pretty complicated place. : )

#2 paint, Oct 30, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  3. Myke

Myke Guest

Don't do it unless you're 100% positive that you want to do it

4. musican

Dont rush it, wait until you're sure you're ready and you're sure that its the right time. Make sure that you have a group of people you know will support you no matter what. It might be really hard and you could use the support of good friends.

5. HighintheClouds

Well... As far as I know, one's orientation is not something which is often talked about... I mean.. You don't go passing the corner and seeing a group of girls talking and yakking and laughing about sexual orientations. Life contains so much more than that.

Coming out to everyone might feel great, but you've got to keep in mind that there's really no need to do so. I mean... If I were to go walking around the city and seeing a group of people chanting and shouting, '"We are gay! We are gay!", I'd just feel like walking away. Why? Because, really, nobody's interested in your orientation unless you're a friend of theirs/they want to get into a relationship with you (usually the latter).

6. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would try and get yourself comfortable with your orientation before trying to get others comfortable with it. Work it out with yourself, figure out right where you stand, and then worry about telling others.

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! First off, be assured that the day will come where you will feel comfortable to come out fully or be completely open about if you desire to do so or be open about it. As you figure out your sexual identity, you will become more comfortable with it and thus you will also be able to talk openly about it.

However, (and I agree with what has been said above) don't worry about it for now until you have figured out your sexual identity. Keep talking to the friends to whom you have already come out. They are an important part of you support network. I think another thing you could do (if you have not done so already) is joining a LGBT group. In some ways by joining such a group you are making the statement that you are out (at least to them), which might help you to put the urge to come out 'completely' on the back burner for now or at least until you have figured out your sexual identity.

Joining a LGBT group can also help you to figure out your sexual identity. Talking about your feelings with others who have gone through or are going through what you are experiencing can be very helpful. It might allow you to place your own feelings in a better context and understand them better.

Hope this helps a bit!

8. isnessofwhatis

Being fully out does not mean you have to wear rainbows all over you clothes and tell everyone you know that you are gay. Heterosexuals don't go around telling everyone they are straight.

The way I've decided to come out and live openly is to tell the people I know will be a support for me (which I have mostly done) and then tell my family. Other than that I'm not planning to do a formal coming out to anyone. I've imagined a scenario in my head and it goes like this: I am going to church and I have a girlfriend with me and when I casually introduce her to people I will tell them she is my friend and after church when I go out with the brunch crowd I will tell them a little more and let them draw their own conclusions. If people want to know, they can ask. If I find a potential girlfriend and I am talking to someone I have not come out to I would talk about her just like straight woman would talk about her boyfriend.

9. Gumtree

You're not ready to come out.

Don't do it.

You're not ready to come out until you have ATLEAST decided that it's what you want.

Are you ready for the potential repercussions?

Have you weighed the pros and cons and decided it's actually worth it?

Don't base your decision on other peoples experiences, no one else in the world is in your situation. You are the only the one that knows your family, your friends, your environment and your society - YOU are the person that will give the best advise.

Oh and for your other questions, there are HEAPS of other threads of people asking the same thing; some of which are multiple pages long - go back a few pages and actually read some.

10. Trent13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    dont rush anything.
    you will know when the time is right.