1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Improving self esteem?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by HalfInsane, Oct 30, 2008.

1. HalfInsane

Okay, so I've been working really hard on my self esteem lately (since it... well, it's lousy, really ><). I'm not nearly as bad as I used to be, but I still have days where I really can't stand my appearance. It's maybe got to do with me being made fun of for the majority of my childhood... I erno. One of my biggest problems now, is even the most innocent of comments on some aspect of my appearance get to me really easily. Such as my one friend always mocking what she calls my "emo bangs", since my bangs always fall in my face (you can look at my profile picture to see my point xD). I know that with her saying that, and a lot of other silly comments like that, that it's all just joking... but it just bothers me way too much. And I know it shouldn't. Any advice?

2. Miles D

well, just keep in mind that anybody that takes the time and energy to put down someone else isn't worth shit (pardon my French.) :grin:
    and btw I love your hair !!!

3. Markio

I agree, your hair looks great! If we were straight I would totally ask you out. :thumbsup:

I have similar self-esteem issues, because I have poor complexion that was very bad my freshman year of high school due to nickel allergy combined with braces. And whenever I'd be talking to my mom, I'd see that she wasn't looking at me to listen, but just to look at my blemishes. As a result I tend to avoid eye contact, at least more than most people. Plus being in the closet in a Catholic environment is always helpful to self-esteem...

Over time, my attitude improved, at least a little. Aside from my skin improving with the removal of my braces and healthier eating habits, I also learned to look for positive things about my appearance. I think I have nice eyes and decent hair, and a very masculine cleft (though not as exaggerated as Aaron Eckhart's).

I do learn to joke about some of my shortcomings, like how I'm kind of short, and really thin. With physical attributes I take more personally, if someone makes fun of it, I make it known to them that I don't find it funny. I don't yell or insult them, but I don't remain silent anymore either. If I react too negatively to something trivial, I check to see if my feelings are reasonable or not in that context.

I think the first step is to know how great you are. No one else can make you feel as good about yourself as you can. There's this great quote from Akeelah and the Bee that applies to this thread, but I can't remember it. It's not by Nelson Mandela, but it's similar to his famous quote...

4. devushka

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    your bangs are cute! friends can say some really stupid things. don't let that shit get to you. (*hug*)(*hug*)

I totally understand the whole low self esteem thing. as I get older, I think I have suffered that a lot of my life. not so much based on appearance, but more on my definition of myself. interests, talents, whatever. it sucks. I think to some extent, self-esteem has made me a shy person as well and I fear certain social situations. The only advice I can give is to keep reminding yourself about all of your amazing qualities. If that doesn't help, find someone to talk to (school counselor, family member, professional...) I hope you feel better soon.

5. Janvier

Well, you're really cute and I like your hair.
    Just ask yourself why do you feel inferior? In what way is anyone superior to you? I'm pretty sure just as good if not better and it's up to you to prove that. Nobody is better than you unless you let them be better than you.
    I'll say it again, you're really cute, don't let those comments get to you :icon_wink