1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First steps

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by bigworld, Jan 27, 2015.

1. bigworld

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm really not ready to tell people I know, but I joined a local gay womens' meetup group. They've got a lot of events, and a fair number look like things I'd be interested in. I RSVP'd for a couple of things, but none sooner than 2 weeks away. I just need to not stress out too much in the meantime. I wanted to go to a meet and greet this weekend, but it starts an hour before the superbowl, and I've already got plans for that. Its kind of scary, since it's so new, but I keep telling myself most people are nice, and if I keep working at it, I'll start to make more friends who know I'm interested in women, and once some people know, it'll be easier for me to tell more people. I think I'm mostly posting to talk off some nerves here.

2. doinitagain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Bigworld

Welcome aboard! :smilewave You've got all the time in the world. Enjoy the ride and have some fun! (!)

3. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well its people you are going to meet... nothing new here...
    some you will go along with well, some you will only register as being there...
    it will probably be a lot of nice people coming together to have a good time...
    something to look forward to...
    don't have too high expectations for the first time.

Just take your time, take a few deep breaths, and enjoy.

Just relax and have fun.

You could do a few things to keep you busy, and to release stress hormones.
    Maybe a bit of exercise... a few walks, a bit of swimming, or biking...
    getting a few minutes daily of sunlight on the skin, which should help increase mood...
    reading, and maybe some relaxation/meditation techniques...
    and maybe a few small tea ceremonies, just enjoying a cup of tea and enjoying the rest...

"bigworld"
    Well its not that big. If you look around you will notice patterns which are the same.
    Its variations. But many things are nice to look at.

(*hug*)

4. bigworld

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah, I'm making sure that I've got plenty to do, so that I don't have too much time to brood. The advice to go for walks, or biking and swimming made me smile. I'm in Massachusetts, so I read it while being at home with a blizzard going on, putting down 2 feet of snow. Being active is good advice: I'll get my exercise shoveling.

5. gogreen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If there are a number of women attending, odds are you'll find someone you have things in common with! Good luck, relax and enjoy! Is there an activity at your event(s)? Having something to do might be easier than a meet and greet for your first event.