1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions Before Coming out... again

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by badger, Jan 27, 2015.

1. badger

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I posted something last night but I woke up with another concern I'm having about coming out:

About a year ago I had a somewhat realization that I was gay and thought I was ready to tell people. I knew who the first person I I wanted to tell would be but she was studying abroad that semester in Europe. So I decided I would wait to tell her before I would tell anyone else. However, I was so eager to tell her that I actually planned a trip to go visit her during my spring break that semester of college. Up until that visit with her, I was excited at the prospect of me coming out would be.

Once I reached Europe and I was with her at the perfect moment, I thought to myself "If I don't do this now, then this whole trip would have been expensive and unsuccessful and this may mean I would never be brave enough to do it." So I ended up whispering to her "I think I'm gay." Right after I said that, her response was very supportive. However, I immediately started retracting what I had said to her because it didn't feel right after saying it. I immediately couldn't remember why I had wanted to come out in the first place. Although she was so great about it, I kept say "wait, maybe I'm not" and "I still am thinking out it." I told her if I want to speak about it again I will let her know.

Since then she has once in a while asked "have you thought about that conversation in Europe" and my response was always "it was just a phase." However, I'm back to wanting to tell her that is wasn't a phase and I really am gay. I feel extremely ready and just want to tell her and talk about it without going back into the closet right after. I don't think a second time would work if it ever did. I feel like, but I'm not sure, that I'm more ready to come out than I was before the Europe experience. Is this just me? Is it normal to suddenly go back into the closet right after telling the first person? Will that happen again if I come out to her again? When do I know is the right time to come out?