1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alone

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by VoiceJail, Jan 28, 2015.

1. VoiceJail

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well, I guess I should preface this by saying I'm 28, have lived that whole 28 years as a guy. Acting like a guy, being a guy, doing guy things. It was who I had to build my identity around.

So growing up I was always around girls, girls every where. While I felt attracted to them, I always well, felt like one. Yet there was always that pressure of "You're a boy, here, do this!" and while yes, I was always drawn to more 'boy' toys, I also liked things that were traditionally 'girl' things. Anyone who remembers the 90's remembers the Mighty Max pocket toys (They were my crack, the adventures!) but I also liked the Polly Pockets. "No, those are your sisters!". I was comfortable with my female friends because I felt I was one of them, but there was always that pressure from the parents to have boy friends, to form a male identity. Proud that their son who was surrounded by females (Literally, no boys on my street) grew up to be a healthy productive straight man. Yet, I'm not straight, and I don't believe I'm a man.

So as I got older I began to repress it all, forget about it, move on, that's not you. Before long I became a recluse, hiding away on the windows 98 days of the internet and soon the 2000's. Diablo, Diablo 2, Warcraft 3, StarCraft, they became escapes, someplace you could go to just forget about it. Yet it manifested there as well, always choosing to be the girl because it's who I wanted to be. Life moved on and around 20 I met a girl, married her and life flew by. I eventually came out to my parents as being Bi much to their chagrin and my wifes parents chagrin. Soon she followed step and came out as Bi too.

Yet none of them know the whole truth, not even my wife. She's plainly state that while bi, she likes natural women and has displayed an attitude of not being attracted to trans-women. My parents and hers on the other hand, a much more distressing story. One of my parents made the comment that all those gays should be put on an island and nuked, so I told her "but mom, I'm Bi." her response was so maternal. "Well, you made your bed son." And there it was.

Having built a life as a husband and son has made it so if I come out as trans, I'll possibly lose my wife who won't be sexually attracted to me no more, my friends who are all decent guys, but have openly made fun of one of their family members for being trans. "Dude, he has tits, yeah, what a fuckin' queer!". My parents will hate me. Like the one time I 'went through a goth phase'. I wore make-up, put my hair up in pigtails, felt lovely. My parents were like "Oh look, he's a lil' goth." Me: "Um, guys, I'm not really trying to be goth..." Them: "so cute!" My grandparents will cut me out of their life. Same area, 'goth period'. Grandpa is taking me to the movies to catch Battlefield Earth, show up with make-up. Freaks out and tells me to get the hell out of there, he ain't taking me anyplace as long as I look like a girl with my lipstick.

Then there's the people I've told online. "You're to old to transition, you'll just look like a dude with tits, gtfo." "Better off a guy m8, just stuff a bra if it makes you feel better."

It's not who I am though, and I just don't know how much longer I can bury it. I've been suicidal about it but I lie and say it is just stress from work or bills. Because if I told them it's depression from spending 28 years living a lie, that I'm actually a girl, my whole world will explode. I really really don't know how to do it anymore.

So this is me, the good son, the adoring husband asking simply, where do I go from here?

2. Myhipsdolie

If you're unhappy with who you are to everyone else then that's no way to live. I'm sure I can speak for the majority on this site when I say that most of us are unhappy with how people view us because they have it wrong.
    I hear more and more success stories these day, about how people are accepted as who they are by the people around them and that's all down to a better understanding of how diverse people are. Now you know the people around you more than anyone on here, so maybe think about trying to explain to them what a transgender person really is, perhaps even show them some youtube videos of people like Laverne Cox? She has given some amazing speeches, you may even benefit from watching her "it gets better video" and I'm sure it may inspire you.
    After you've watched the video and given some thought on how the people round you would react to a better explanation of a trangender person, perhaps then you can start thinking about how you think they'd react to that you coming out to them.
    I'm not going to lie to you, the road maybe bumpy ahead but now if now is not the time for change in your life, then when is?

Also

On the bright side, now that you know you are a women, you can start doing things to make you happy. Even if you want to keep them secret for now.
    You can come up with another name for yourself, join online forums specifically for transgender women and men to chat.
    Hell, I'd even go as far as taking a trip to 'visit an old pal' but instead stay at a hotel, dress the way you want to dress and be free for a while. Even if you don't leave the hotel. do what you want and see how it feels.

Top tip: Pay with cash for things you don't want people to know about (yet)

#2 Myhipsdolie, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015