1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why can't you just be NORMAL!!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by yahooooo, Oct 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yahooooo

yahooooo Guest

Okay, so this really is more of a rant than anything else, but I am honestly sick of all the advice that keeps on being heaped upon me in order to make me more "normal", and my life "better".

It seems at the moment that I am contuinually bombarded with critisism about my life due to my lack of conformity to what a typical teenage girl should be like. For example I have had my granmothers' friends asure me that "when I grow up I will like dresses and make-up" my auntie say that "She will give up on all this work and education when she finally meets a nice boy to fall in love with" another helpful adult telling me that I should go out drinking more often as it's not good spending so much time doing sport... and I really am getting sick of it. So here is the list of problems/solutions according to the helpful adults who know best:

- not feminine enough - this is due to my immaturity, but soon I'll grow out of it!!
    - spending too much time playing hockey - not enough time spent binge drinking like a "normal" teenager
    - lack of meeting nice boys to fall in love with - too much effort put into studying, because a woman's place is OBVIOUSLY in the kitchen looking after her husband.

Okay, so I admit that my life isn't perfect and I'm not exactly the happiest at the moment with school/life but honestly, reminding me of all my short comings really is not helping. I feel out of place enough in the current situation without being reminded about how I need to be more "normal." So what if I don't like dresses, make-up or guys? It doesn't mean that I am immature, it means that I am ME. I like football, rugby and hockey - in fact the only time I don't feel self consious and out of place is when I'm doing sport, what is wrong with that? So what if I'm hiding behind my education at the moment? I know it's not perfect but as I am stuck where I am for a while it is the only way I know how to get through. I am trying the best I can!!

I really wish I could change things but I don't know how, and telling me to relax and be more social really isn't helping, it just makes me feel even more pathetic and reminds me of how much I hate things at the moment. So thanks for those nuggets of wisdom!

Oh and I can't wait until I have to come out to my family so they can continue critisising my life despite the fact they hardly know me. I can then become the black sheep that either isn't talked about or maybe, if I'm lucky they can tell my parents what they did "wrong" to make me the "way I am" or something equally as helpful.

Sorry, I just wish people could keep their oppinions to themselves as however hard I try I can't ignore what people think. :icon_sad:

2. MLCarr

(*hug*)

I don't know what to say actually. I was in a similar situation and just waited it out until I got to college last year. My advice? Be yourself, don't let family change you, and keep your chin up.

I'm sorry I can't be much more help than that, but that's the truth. At this point, I think the truth is what you need...

3. isnessofwhatis

I've had some very similar experiences. I had someone who tried to fix me last year but I refused. She wanted to show me how to do my hair and do makeup and dress more girly. Yuck, yuck, and more yuck!!! I hate the way makeup feels, even the natural stuff and I hate having any fake stuff in my hair. She said because I didn't do this stuff meant I didn't love myself.

What this has helped teach me is to not be judgemental of others. When I see someone doing something I don't like I have to stop myself and think does it really matter? is it harming anyone? If not then I have to let it go.

4. Gumtree

Every adult has a view on how the youth should grow up - every parent has a plan on how they will raise their child and every grandparent has a plan too.

When you take a step off their path, they will attempt to push you back to 'their direction'

It's hard a time to handle all their ciritism I know, the more people say you're not normal the more you start to believe it.

But always remember - Everyone has a path they would like you to follow, but only YOURS will take you to the destination you want.

5. Étoile

It's just parents and grandparents' natural thing to do, pick out and nag about something they see different about you. You could tell them to shove it but that wouldn't be very polite. LOL Tell them you are who you are and that's what makes you you and although there are some things you want to improve or change, their critisism is dragging you down rather than lifting you up.

(*hug*) Hang in their soldier, you can make it.

6. No One

well maybe you should send this not to them but take out the lesbian parts of it maybe this will let them know how you feel. hope this helps keep us posted

7. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Aww, yahoooo, that sucks so much. I don't what to say except believe in yourself and just keep up with your sport/studies/whatever helps you forget about their bullshit. Try and just enjoy your life as much as possible. Sooner or later you will move out and then this will have made you a stronger person. (*hug*) (*hug*)

8. Billeraphon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Stay strong and be yourself.

9. shironuma

That is a natural reaction for adults but right now we are in a new era, but still, it's not easy to change their mind. I think you should be yourself regardless what they say because you are you. Continue with sports but don't neglect your studies since they are important for your future, that can keep you occupied from the bullshit plus getting on the way for the future!

And it's so awesome that you play hockey. I used to do soccer and boxing before, it is nice to be active!

10. LookingtoAffirm

Keep your head up and try to keep your spirits up too. I'm in a similar position, although the criticism isn't directed to me I live with older relatives and they're always saying racist/homphobic things. Its really really annoying..-.- jesus but I'll be able to move out soon as soon as I have my own income. Play more hockey :slight_smile:

Its hard enough to grow up but when you're queer too and people are telling you what to do all day its a really heavy load. Considering all of that I think you're doing great :slight_smile:

11. Hot Pink

Holy necropost, Batman.

12. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

The original post is from almost 4 years ago, and as evidence by the "Guest" title under the OP's username, they have since deleted their account. There is no point in responding to this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.