1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure if I should cherry-pick who I come out to?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dashie, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Dashie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hey, so I'm dealing with a bit of a moral dilemma. On one hand, I want to do the correct thing and not be exclusionary but on the other hand, I'm not 100 percent sure all will go to plan if I do tell my entire clique. I'll give you a little bit of backstory. I am young teenage lesbian and have only recently decided to face my homosexuality rather than cower behind closed doors feeling sorry for myself. I personally think that this process of self acceptance starts with coming out to ones friends. I have recently come out to two of my very best friends. It all went very well, and it made me want to come out to some of my other friends. Here's where I reach the dilemma. They are both great friends to me and have always been by my side. After all they've done for me, I think that they deserve to know. But their personalities and such just flat out deter me. They use "gay" and "lesbian" as insults, for starters. Recently a poster concerning LGBTs was placed in the windows of one of the classrooms at my school and although they didn't ridicule LGBTs, their reaction was iffy to say the least. What makes this even worse is that since they are both females, there'sthe chance that they may think I am into them, which is far from the truth. Hiding this is making me sick to the stomach, literally and metophorically. I still have my other friends to discuss all of my problems, but we've all recently moved to high school and now both of the people I told are in different schools. I just realized that I've written a wall. Sorry, I know this is a first world problem in comparison to some of the bigger, meatier issues on this forum but there really is no road map for all of this and I don't want to go it alone. Thanks guys(*hug*)

#1 Dashie, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  2. whww123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I mean if you did come out to them, maybe they would become less ignorant? I have no idea. I'd more so try to focus on telling loved ones and family first. :slight_smile: Don't worry about people who aren't going to accept you as you are. You're very brave and I'm proud of you!

3. Scifiguy338

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats for coming out to your best friends! :slight_smile:I'm from Melbourne too btw, cool to be in this liberal location. People will always be icky around LGBT stuff, because there is still homophobia around, even in Melbourne, where I have seen homophobic reactions to same sex kissing out in the city. It comes a lot more from older generations and cultures new to the city.:rolle: Your friends might start to be more understanding now that they know you are a lesbian, because now it is more personal for them. Someone might pick on that random gay couple but when they learn their brother is gay suddenly they realise gays/lesbians are people too and not much different in wanting to be happy! I think it's important you take coming out step at a time, and do what is comfortable. You have already done well by coming out to your friends.:icon_bigg