1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Before I Come Out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by badger, Jan 29, 2015.

1. badger

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Do you recommend talking to a psychologist before and during my coming out process? I feel like I have no one to talk to and I'v been trying to tell my best friend for the longest time but haven't been brave enough. I have been thinking about talking to a psychologist, someone who I don't know, about everything before and during this whole experience. What do you think?

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it is a good professional, it may help to calm you down, but i don't think that's really necessary.

Do you want to come out to your best friend first? Have you tried dropping subltle hints? Like, asking him about his opinion on gay marriage, telling him you know of someone that just came out and see his reaction. That way, you may know if he will probably be supportive or not.

Talk to us! :grin:

3. badger

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm certain she will be supportive. I'm just having difficulty spitting it out when I'm with her. Once I bring it up, it will become real to me and that's what scares me. Would a psychologist possibly help me get passed that fear of what happens after I say something? The transition period?

4. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally I found talking to other gay people that went through the process helped me.
    Don't give out to yourself for being scared or backing out at the last minuet.
    Years ago I did a marshal art, I had to learn to defend myself against someone attacking me with a samurai sword just using my bare hands. That was scary but not half as scary as coming out.
    It's a bit like jumping off a high diving board you just have to take a deep breath and do it (after taking all the safety precautions first)
    A thing that gave me help was watching "coming out" videos on youtube and reading the coming out stories on this site. The funny reactions to coming out thread is really good.
    Things will probably go really well and you will ask your self "why was I so scared?"
    Bravery is not doing something dangerous but doing something you are scared of.