1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is it worth it to come out at school? (and more)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by foxbane, Jan 30, 2015.

1. foxbane

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hey I'm in a situation here where only a few people at school who know I'm trans (my two close friends, a counselor, and school minister) and I've considered going all out. But, this is difficult since I have to wear a uniform skirt and in the handbook of school rules it states that girls aren't allowed to wear uniform pants. That is only resevered for the 'guys'. This angers me a bit because I am a guy. I'm afraid that despite what I'll tell them they won't let me bend the rules a bit. I go to a very religious Catholic school; and it hurts me when I hear from the school minister to keep telling myself that I am a daughter of God, and that nobody can take that away from me. And then we started talking about gay couples adopting kids. He said that every child has the right to a mother and a father. I expressed my point of view is that they should, however, adopt children if they are going to provide homes that care about them. Yes, from nature's core you need a man and a woman to create kids but that still doesn't mean that their parents would be there. This planet is in ruins right now and limiting adoption to exclusively only cis hetero couples is not going to help. Just because they have parents doesn't mean they'll magically return from six feet under or whatever the hell they went to be there for them. I don't give a shit if you disagree we have to make the best of what we can to help these kids grow up loved. He commented on how there was already plenty of straight couples waiting to adopt but that still didn't change my view.
    Anyways sorry for that rant but it peeved me. My school counselor is supportive though and I am very grateful for it. My one friend tries to use my chosen name, Zachary (and corrects herself when she realises she said my old nickname :]). Though, my other friend, my bro, he doesn't actually use any name to get my attention he just says 'hey'- but when he does say my chosen name, he says it hesitantly and quietly. In the past we've dated and it hasn't turned out very well and I guess he still is upset about that (he said he loved me using my old name, when we broke up). I believe he also tried to explain to me that I had a female soul and a male soul and I just controlled my temper before things got ugly. We're on shaky terms rn and he asked me out to an upcoming Valentine's dance with my more supportive friend.
    Ugh it's stressful to deal with. I need advice from other people's points of views, could you help me with this? I've been missing school due to simply really not feeling it and my grades have dropped a bit.

2. ThroughTheMist

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm afraid I can't offer a whole lot in terms of advice, but I do want to make some comments. I always find it annoying when Catholic schools insist on females wearing skirts instead of pants. At all three Catholic schools I went to, females were allowed to choose between skirts and pants. At my high school, two guys once decided to wear skirts during Spirit Week and got away with it.

I'm glad that you have a few people in your life who are supportive. The best advice I can give is to maintain those helpful relationships. Could the school counselor help you in dealing with some of the things that are going on right now? I would think that they might have more of a voice within the school hierarchy.

3. juno

juno Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    When I came out at school it was completely worth it. Everyone was really understanding and supportive. I got to meet other LGBTQs my age. I go to public school, but still in a very conservative, Christian area. Is it possible for you to switch schools? Lots of Catholic schools aren't as strict about girls wearing skirts. Lastly, what you said about adoption is so true! I've been saying things like that for years! Good luck!

4. PossumJack

I don't know anything about Catholic schools, but I came out recently at my public school and almost everyone is supportive. There's been one or two assnuggets who refuse to use my chosen name and male pronouns, but I just ignore them and they don't do anything to actively harass me. I *do* live in a very liberal region though so I don't really know how your classmates would react. It's your decision in the end, but make sure you feel safe in your environment first.

I would say talk to your counselor first about it, they probably have a good idea of what the administration can/would be willing to do to support you. You can also talk to them about the dress vs. pants situation.

5. foxbane

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Ah thanks every one for replying. I will focus on my counselor for now and I was already thinking of leaving to a highschool with no uniform. Maybe that will help me a lot more. So yeah, thanks everyone!