1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denial about being straight?!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sparkyboyM, Nov 1, 2008.

1. sparkyboyM

hi. yeah, you've read the title, i think i could be in denial about being straight...like, when i first realised i liked guys as well as girls, i kinda overreacted, so i kinda thought i was gay. i realised after that i was bi, when i realised that i did still find girls attractive as well. i was never unhappy about it, i never thought it was bad, and it didn't affect my life.
    i didn't feel the need to come out, and still don't, because it doesn't majorly affect my life. but lately i've come to realise that i still like girls A LOT, and i'm mostly attracted to realy majorly feminine guys. example: i only found about 5% of the guys in 'the hot guy game' thread attractive :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    lately i've become attracted more and more to girls and women, and even more feminine guys, but i don't want it to have been a 'phase', and i don't want to be like every other 'straight' guy out there. it's like i wanna be different, and be part of a community that is also 'different' (no offense).
    so i guess it might be that i'm young that it may have been 'a phase', but still, it's not like the idea of being with a guy 'disgusts' me, i'm just way more attracted to the female body.

sorry for the wall of text, lol. ...can anyone maybe clarify things for me?
    ...oh yeah, and i should probably change my custom user title lol

#1 sparkyboyM, Nov 1, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  2. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sexuality isn't rigid. You might be bi just leaning towards girls.

Don't you just hate labels? So do I. Don't rush to label yourself because no one fits definitively into any category. E.g.

STRAIGHT----------BISEXUAL----------GAY
    ------------------------------------^Me
    -------------^You???

3. Yeah, Lucy is right, maybe you don't have to label yourself.
    My favourite quote kinda somes this on up for me...

"Sexuality is fluid, whether you're gay, straight or bisexual, you gotta go with the flow..."
    Yes, Shane from the L Word. She speaks sense ^_^

4. Peter

Don't rush in to label yourself. Maybe you are gay, maybe you are straight. Enjoy life for now. Change your mind a few more times. Don't try to pretend you are something you are not, whatever you do.

5. Psychedelic Bookmarks

I t sounds like you're in tune with where you are, you're not afraid of your feelings and you're experimenting with whatever happens. That's great. Just keep exploring yourself and don't worry too much if you can't find a suitable label right now. :slight_smile: If you eventually decide you best identify as straight, or if you change several times, that's fine... in the end, it's all about people, not genders or labels. I can identify with you, because I sometimes think "maybe I'm just in denial about being straight!", but, in the end, your feelings won't lie to you. Stay true to them.

6. Myke

Myke Guest

yeah don't label yourself. Just go to with the flow. You'll know when you know

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! As it was mentioned by the other members, try not to label yourself at this stage. It is possible for your feelings to change over time. Sexual identities are fluid. Given your age, a lot can still happen. But rest assured, over time you will figure things out.

That said, try to explore the feelings that you do have. Don't be afraid of that. It is possible for you to form attachments to girls/guys at different levels. As you explore the feelings that you are experiencing, your attachments to girls/guys will become clearer.

I think what might also help you is if you talk to a counselor at school about your feelings. Meeting with a counselor is confidential and it will allow you to talk openly about it. Sometimes, when we talk about our feelings, we uncover other things that lingered in the background, and were not completely aware of, allowing us to gain a better understanding not only about our feelings but also about ourselves.

Also, regardless of your feelings and how they develop, you are not going to be "like every other "straight' guy out there." You have your own individual characteristics that make you, you. Even if these feelings don't develop further, you can still be part of a community that represents something different for you.

Hope this helps!

8. MusicIsLife

"sexuality is fluid" - Shane from The L Word

and shes right. your sexuality isnt set in stone, it can change.

9. isnessofwhatis

very few people are 100% straight or 100% gay. I say I am a lesbian because I very strongly prefer women and can't ever imagine a long term relationship with a man. But there is a fairly small part of me that thinks about havig a flirtatious relationship with a man.

10. Gumtree

Forget labels, forget sexuality and forget limitations.

Keep an open mind, if you find a guy you like then go for, don't let trivial things such as how much you like women or dislike other men affect you.

Live on a person to person basis, not a gender basis.

It may not be phase, but do remember that you are young, the things you find attractive in people often do change, the kind of relationship you want and the things you expect from other people will change; irrelevant of age.

11. sparkyboyM

thanks guys, yeah i do tend to label things i guess lol, but all the advice has helped a lot, i do see my...i dunno, 'situation' more clearly now.

12. Mikeyy

It's not like if you're straight you can't be a part of our community. We're happy to have as much support as possible.

Good luck figuring it out. It could take a while.

13. Rygirl

Personally I hate labels, because I'm straight the girls at my new school expect me to be homophobic and hook up with guys in the bathrooms at lunch. They lookat me like I'm some kind freak if they find out I'm a member of a gay forum and very open minded.