1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my best friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CosimaBae, Jan 30, 2015.

1. CosimaBae

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My best friend is bisexual and I want to come out to her as a lesbian, but to be honest I think she already knows... Or suspects it strongly at least. How do I come out to her without making it super awkward?

2. Composerbpc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I don't ever think coming out is going to not be at least a little awkward. There's always that stumbling over your words sorta thing where it's like "oh I'm not really sure how to put this...etc" Personally I think people shouldn't have to come out. I don't think that people should just assume you're born straight and expect you to have a girlfriend or boyfriend and then when you like someone of the same sex be like "OMG he's gay?!" or "OMG she's lesbian?!" or however you identify, etc. When I adopt a child, I'm not going to expect him or her to have to come out. Just tell me who they're dating, I don't care about the gender. Anyway. But assuming she already suspects, that might be easier on her. Also, she's bisexual so she's going to be accepting., at least you can have confidence that she's knows what you're going through for the most part. So I would say that just approach her alone and talk it through. Tell her that you've been thinking and you think that it's time you told her who you really are. She will still be totally fine with it, just have courage! (easier said than done but you know, I'm still gonna say it :grin:) anyways, good luck to you! I hope all goes well.

3. CosimaBae

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank you so much! That really helped me a lot ^^ Have a nice day!

4. Composerbpc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No problem I'm glad I could help! You too! (*hug*)

5. Orderofthecrow

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hope your coming out went well!
    For me it was more of a
    me: so yeah Kate's got this new puppy
    her: yeah? awesome
    me: oh and also I'm bisexual
    her: .... well that's okay. but hey when we sang "I Kissed a Girl" together back in 8th grade it was just for fun
    me: ....... I know. don't flatter yourself.
    her: anyway we need to go shopping together again
    It felt slightly awkward, yes. I felt more self conscious than I expected to feel, but with best friends, I feel like making it a big deal isn't all that necessary. In the end they'll know you're still the same person and nothing has changed.

6. Wildside

Wildside Guest

ask her about her coming out story. then tell her how hard it is, and ask her if she can give you any advice about coming out.