1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Always swore I'd never start a topic like this but...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Noah, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Noah

Ok first of all,
    I broke up with my boyfriend cause it was too hard with my parents.

Now, I went to a party where I met this guy. He is totally cute, and my gaydar was going off like crazy. But he was talking about staying friends with his ex-girlfriend and how there just wasn't a romance spark between them. I'm almost positive he's gay, but his family is strict jewish. Should I say something to him? He already knows I'm gay btw.

2. Mikeyy

Don't assume. Never assume someone's gay - generally you're more likely to think that if you're interested. You then try to make a move and it all comes crashing down.

Keep in contact with the guy, but don't try anything unless he seems interested. You could try asking about his feelings about his ex-girlfriend. Since he already knows you're gay, that may give him a reason to come out to you.

Also, I really think you shouldn't have broken up with your boyfriend. You can't change yourself just to please your parents, they just have to learn to live with it.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So after breaking up with your boyfriend to please your parents, you want to make a move on a guy who claims to be straight.

Why again?

Lex

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Noah! When it comes to the guy you met, always assume that they are straight until they tell you otherwise, even when your gaydar is going off like crazy. He knows you are gay. If he has something to tell you, he will. If you want to continue to talk with him and get to know him, go ahead. But keep in mind that by talking with him you are building a 'simple' friendship only for now.

The other thing is you broke up with your boyfriend to please your parents. Maybe instead of breaking up with your boyfriend, you could have explained the situation to him, and tried to cool things down a little bit. It seems like that you are trying to fill this void now in any way you can, including crushing on a guy who seems to be straight.