1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to come out to parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GhostNeko, Jan 31, 2015.

1. GhostNeko

Title says it all.
    I really want to come out to my parents, or at least my mother. I've been hiding it for a long time and my parents for the last few weeks keep telling me "It's not good to bottle things up." Whenever I hear that, I get nervous, try to hide it, and I feel compelled to tell them. I need advice on how to approach them, how to tell them... I really want to tell them, but I just don't know how.

2. Wildside

Wildside Guest

are you more comfortable with one of your parents than another? a lot of people come out to their mother first, but others may be more comfortable with their father. that's one way to level the field a bit, so it's one on one instead of one on two, and if they are supportive that could give you an ally for coming out to the other parent. and once you've come out to your parents, everyone else is a lot easier. good luck! (&&&)

3. GhostNeko

I'm more comfortable with my mother, but how do I tell her? What should I say first? "Can I talk to you"?

4. Wildside

Wildside Guest

that's an excellent place to start. and remember that our mothers often know us better than we know ourselves. she may already know, and is just giving you time for you to be able to tell her. Just say those two words, "I'm gay," and everything else will flow from there. or did you mean that you're needing to tell her that you like fish? :icon_wink