1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Update on my gender

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by person57, Jan 31, 2015.

1. person57

Hey guys. I haven't been on here in a while, and a lot has happened while I was gone. I started questioning my gender again, and I realized that I'm actually transgender. I told this to everyone who I previously came out to as bigender. After realizing that I'm transgender, I felt very happy that I realized who I am and I felt more confident. As some of you may know, my parents won't let me be open about my gender because they're protective. Well, I decided to talk to my parents and I asked them if I could be open about my gender and I told them that I really want to be myself. They said to give it time, in case if I'm going through a phase. This really sucks because I actually really want to be open about my gender, and I actually feel very excited to be open about it.

2. Gen

Gen

I am happy that you've been making progress while you were away. Sometimes it can take us a bit of time to get things sorted out in terms of our identity, but the important part is that we make it through it and eventually come to an understanding.

Ultimately, there is no one that can limit how open you are about your identity; however, the least that those of that are fortunate enough to have accepting loved ones can do is to respect the views that they offer. This doesn't mean that you must make an effort to hide yourself or even prevent yourself from being open as often as you wish. This only means that when they wish to share their thoughts on the subject you give them some thought and express that you appreciate their views, regardless of whether you follow them or not.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Agreed with Gen, sometimes it does take time for us to be able to get things sorted out with our identities. They are not a black and white thing, and that can be very confusing.

Since your parents are not ready for you to be open about your gender yet, you might take this time to prepare and do research so when you are able to be yourself you are better prepared to do so. It may take them some time to see that this is not phase, but it is at least a good thing that they are saying to give it some time. That is a sign that they are at least considering letting you be open.

Sometimes, it takes loved ones time to get used to the change as well, so it is important that you give them the time necessary to become comfortable with you presenting female.