1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out to friends, but not family or teachers.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Shizuka, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Shizuka

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi everyone. Uhm, I've recently settled as bigender and I'm out to my friends, who already knew I was bisexual and I'm slowly coming out to other people at school, but I'm not sure how to come out to teachers and family members because I'm simply worried about how they'll react, especially my father, who is very vocal about the fact that he doesn't accept the LGBTQA community but he knows I do, I just don't know how he'd react to his darling daugher identifying as male some days and liking both guys and girls, my parents don't know I've had a girlfriend, one of my friends. I'm in my school's GSA and had a sign in the picture we took for the yearbook, saying Bi and Proud on it, planning on using that to come out to my family at the end of the year to come out, but I don't know if the one shot I had it in will be put in and I've had plenty of chances to come out to family as bigender and bisexual, but I always get too scared and I don't even have the courage to correct teachers on the days that I'm male when they use my birth name, which is a feminine name because I don't want to draw attention to myself, especially in choir, since all of my fellow choir members are female. Any tips?:help:

2. LittleGecko

LittleGecko Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't come out to teachers. Some of my teachers suspect and are complete jerks to me. Of course, you may live in a more accepting area. Maybe you can come up with a nickname that's more unisex, and ask teachers to call you by that.
    About your dad, do you have a mom/grandparent/sibling that's more accepting? You could tell them first.

3. Eli98

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    About your teachers... Unless you have a teacher who you trust and you have a 'friendship' with I wouldn't come out to them. Coming out to family, friends and school peers is good because then you can act yourself without having to act straight and either female or male or having to act any other way. You don't spend all your time around teachers so unless you really want them to know I wouldn't worry about them.
    I am not sure how to help you with your father but if he loves you then he shouldn't let gender identification or sexual orientation get in the way of his love for you.
    I hope it goes well for you. (*hug*)

4. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I think that it's best for teachers to have nothing to do with their students' sexuality, and it's better not to even discuss it with them. family and friends knowing can be a great relief, and make it easier to live your life authentically. good luck!

5. Shizuka

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey guys! First off, thanks for the advice, I'll just focus on telling family. Also, I'm out to my mom as bigender and she was real cool with it, though I still haven't told her that I'm bisexual, that makes me more nervous for some reason.

6. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Shizuka... Welcome to EC!! I am a teacher and I agree...don't "come out" directly to your teachers. Believe me, they'll find out! It puts them in a very difficult situation at times. So just let them hear it through the "grape vine". Then if you need to speak to them about it, because of a particular way you want to be addressed, etc. go ahead. But don't start with them!!......David