1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by musican, Nov 1, 2008.

1. musican

I was texting a friend of mine last night and I was telling her about how I feel like people are watching me and waiting for me to mess up so they can laugh. I said that I felt stupid and paranoid for saying that, but thats how I feel and I cant deny how I feel. She told me its ok, that she likes me (as a friend) and that people pick on other people to draw attention away from their own flaws. She also said that there isnt any point in trying to change people's minds or yourself.

We talked about some rumor that people heard and she asked me about it and didnt think it was true. It wasnt and I asked how she knew, and all she said was I guess I know you better than you think I do. She said that I cant hide , especially from her and she said that I was starting to show my true colors. She said that shes glad that I'm being myself and that I should care about what people at our school think; my family and friends are all that matter. she also mentioned that she is accepting and likes when people are who they really are.

I wonder if she knows Im gay and is trying to tell me that I can/should come out. How do I know if she means that she knows Im gay, or if she just means that she is accepting in general? How do you know if you can trust someone with something you want, no you need to stay secret?

2. Even if she isn't hinting specifically at being gay, it seems like she's going to accept you no matter what. Although it does seem to me, given that amount of information, that there's a good chance she's trying to tell you to come out to her.

3. musican

Thats true, it does seem like she will accept me even if thats not what she was talking about. The only thing is, how do I know if I can trust her not to tell people, and how do I tell her if I decide to tell her?

Even though I've already come out to some people, it doesnt seem to get easier to bring up the subject. its easier to talk about after I come out, but still hard to start the conversation.

4. elitechris

when we were close... my [socalled] friend asked me straight up if i was bi/gay and i really didn't know what to say but i also felt i could trust her with the secret... now that i know she really isn't a close friend i'm glad i didn't tell her

if you think she's a loyal trustworthy friend then tell her :slight_smile:
    if you do you can see if she will keep the secret that she is a true friend!

5. Gumtree

If you feel secure in your friendship and her loyality then go for it - no reason not to.

But if you don't feel like it's a neccessary risk or that it will make you uncomfortable, wait; perhaps one day soon you will be ready to tell her.

6. musican

Well, I was thinking about talking to her today, but then she said something to me in class that made me wonder if it would be a good idea. Everyone thinks that our history teacher is a lesbian. Well, I asked how that class was and she said 'she was late and she got highlights in her hair so she looks like even more of a d**e' I told her that it wasnt a nice thing to say and she didnt really say anything about it after that.

blah

7. Mickey

Maybe she's a tad homophobic when it comes to lesbians.
    Some straight girls see lesbians as some sort of threat.
    But,you are the one who has to decide.
    Since the gay subject has already come up,albeit not in a positive way,you could
    always ask how she feels about gay men.
    She may be way more comfortable with gay men. Good luck in whatever you do.

8. musican

yea, ive noticed that some girls are more comfortable with gay guys than gay girls, but it makes me wonder if she thinks of all gay people negatively. thanks for the luck, my life is a bit of a mess so i could use all the luck i can get.

9. Myke

Myke Guest

Nick! you know what my opinion on the matter is. Good luck!