1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't tell if my parents are accepting..?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by choirsmash, Feb 2, 2015.

1. choirsmash

I don't plan on coming out to my parents anytime in the near future, but I can't tell if they would be accepting. Whenever we've talked about gay rights and marriage equality, my mom seems like she accepts it but she always quotes Seinfeld saying, "not that there's anything wrong with that" so I can't tell if she seriously accepts it or if she's joking. My dad does the same thing when he asks if someone is gay and I tell him yes he just says that same thing. Why can't they just be straightforward with their opinions toward it? :confused:

2. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I could be wrong but I don't think people joke about being accepting if they aren't. Most likely they haven't given it a lot of thought so there isn't a strong opinion for them to be straightforward about. Not coming out is fine but if and when you want to start dating it's a lot easier to move around if they know. You won't always have to work at keeping it hidden.