1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I came out to my doctor!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Wildside, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I had my annual physical today, and came out to my doctor. Actually, it was a new doctor. I had read on EC that if we don't feel comfortable being out with our doctor, that we need to find a new doctor. Well, I've never been comfortable telling my health care providers that I'm gay, so I found a new one that I thought I would be comfortable with. And it was a phenomenally good experience. He spent a full hour with me, including a lot of discussion. He suggested some therapists with whom he thought I might click. He did all the right tests that should be done on an active gay man who doesn't score 100% on safe sex. It's all about being honest. It just felt so liberating to finally be out to my doctor. And it turns out that he is gay too, so he could put me at ease better than I would have felt with a straight doctor. When I told him where I wanted to be in my life (as far as coming out), he said that I was already doing what I need to be doing. That boosted my confidence a bit too. I tend to dwell on who I'm not out to yet, but each time I come out to someone else, it feels so great. (!)

2. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey, that's great Wildside, congrats! He seems very professional too, making you the test focused on your health and circumstances.

I'm glad to hear you are being more open about yourself and coming out. Sure you must be feeling great, they are finally getting to know the real you, and not somebody else.

Good to know you are doing allright, you deserve some happiness, boy! :slight_smile:

3. Pete1970

Glad it went well for you Wildside.

When I told my doctor, he said the best thing I could do is not have sex with men. Didn't even offer suggestions for safe sex and told me that I should stay in the marriage no matter what.

Suffice it to say that was the last time I went to see him

4. Wildside

Wildside Guest

that's the response that I have feared all my life. Well that, and the fact that when I was in the navy it would have got me kicked out! but I read here on EC how important it is to find a doctor you can come out to, and I am so glad that I did. I hope that you have found a better doctor. Your doctor's remark definitely ignores the reality of it all. I can do that on my own, without a doctors assistance! I need a doctor who can actually help me. and I've found one!!!