1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just told a school psychologist

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by badger, Feb 3, 2015.

1. badger

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I just told one of the many random school therapist a lot of information, including that I'm gay. This is the first time I met him and he is the first person I told and I feel not upset about it but not not happy about it. I feel uneasy and I don't know what I'm supposed to be feeling. Is this normal? I'm anxious that it was so easy for me to tell him and this was the first time I met him. I'm just not sure how to go about this.

2. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's rather normal. It took me two 30 min sessions to tell him most of my problems, but it went much smoother than I had expected originally. After all, they're there to help you and not to be society's judge.

3. badger

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Since telling my psychologist (the first person who knows anything), I feel less motivated to come out of the closet to anyone else. I can't tell if this is because I feel like I should talk about this more with him during more sessions before moving on to other people (thats the reason for me going to him) or because I just can't remember why I wanted to come out in the first place. I'm kind of lost right now. Any advise?

#3 badger, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  4. NewKid87

Why don't you talk more to your psychologist about it - not just about your sexuality, but about the fact that you don't feel comfortable coming out to anyone else. He's a professional so he should definitely be able to help you.

And congrats on coming out to your first person! That's a huge step! :slight_smile:

5. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

If you felt comfortable enough to talk openly to this guy on the first meeting, continue seeing him, continue talking to him.

Don't feel like you have to be in a hurry to define who you are and how you express it to others. I'm assuming you are under 20, that's age of exploration. You aren't supposed to know all the answers, or even understand all the questions.

6. HornPF

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you are worried that your therapist will tell your teachers, you needn't worry, unless you are in immediate danger. But you seem to OK with it. Employees of schools are in a position of trust and confidentiality.

Do talk to him, or he may worry. But take your time. He'll understand. Perhaps, if you are uncomfortable bringing up the subject again, just a simple "Hello" in the corridor shows you are happy to talk when you're ready or talk about something else. You are the most important individual in your two way conversation and you will lead the conversation.

7. musicman1982

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Badger,

I'm going to pretty much echo or repeat what the others have said. It's normal to feel like this when you come out. It doesn't matter if you are a part of the LGBT community or not, if you have been hiding something for so long, you'll have a natural anxiety or stress building up inside of you that makes you feel like you want to burst, it's good that you told somebody.

This psychologist seems to be very good at their job and you obviously felt naturally comfortable talking about anything with this person. In terms of telling them, you have nothing to worry about. As a psychologist they have to respect your privacy and confidentiality, when talking about any type of information that you feel should be kept private. The only time they would mention it again, they would need your permission when speaking to someone else outside of your therapy session, so they must respect you as their patient, like a doctor respecting the needs or their patient.

Again, you have nothing to worry about. To put a positive spin on this, at least you have a person who you feel you can talk about things with, when most people don't. The people who have a negative outcome when coming out, could end up feeling alone, on the streets and feeling lost. No one should feel like that, because there is always someone or somewhere that will support you regardless if you are gay, straight, bi, alien or whoever you feel you are. You shouldn't feel like hiding who you are or your true essence, because that is what makes you, you. I hope this helps?

#7 musicman1982, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  8. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Congratulations on coming out to him, Badger. You have come out to someone, and that is always a great moment. It may take a while to process all this, and I can understand why you're not in a rush to tell others yet. Be patient with yourself and just let things take the time they need. I agree with everyone who says that he is a good person to trust because of his position, and that it would be good to also tell him the feelings that you're having right now. For him, as a professional, this is not unusual news, but something that is perfectly normal, which may be why you didn't see much of his reaction. His concern should be for your well being. (&&&)