1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how young is too young?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sam, May 19, 2007.

1. Sam

Sam

I was wondering if there is an age where it is too young to tell someone you are gay? like for instance how do you know if they will understand or not. My brother is 8 years old and I want to tell him but my parents don't want me to tell him yet because they say that he will ask a lot of questions that they don't want to answer about things they don't want him to know about yet. Is 8 too young to find out that his sister is gay? Should I just wait or should I go ahead and do what my parents don't want and tell him?

Sam

2. TeeBe

Factoring in what your parents think will probabily keep them happy, if it matters to you. Personally, I think that I would be more comfortable with my sibbling growing up knowing who I actually am. (Then again, I have a sister who I haven't told, but I am not entirely out either.) Maybe you could try talking to your parents about why it is important to you that your brother knows?

3. I agree with TeeBe, tell your parents how you're feeling on the topic and see if you can reach an agreement

4. SadConfusedBandGeek

I think for your parents it might not be about, your brother knowing who you are but maybe about the sex issue and they dont wanna have that discussion at 8 years old, i'm sure

5. Sam

Sam

yeah it prob is the whole sex issue but here is something else my brother is 12 years younger than me he is almost 9 and I am almost 21 if I am in a relationship with someone and I introduce her to my parents am I just supposed to hide it from my brother? and what if we have lets say dinner at my parents am I just supposed to say this is my friend (her name).

6. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i think my 13yo brother nos that i am but i dont want to tell him yet and my other brother is only 10 and that might be a bit young??? probably 14yo or even 15yo???

7. TeeBe

That's not fair to either of you. Or, ANY of you. You and your gf should be able to be yourselves and have an adult relationship, not hide. And you brother deserves to be treated his age. How can he be expected to be honest (like all perents want...I am assuming that yours are the same) if people aren't honest with him?

8. Jim1454

This is a question I've thought a bit about too recently. I'm not out either, but I do have two young daughters who I expect, at some point in time, will need to know the truth.

The one comment that was made to me that struck me was that I shouldn't wait too long, because the older they get the more exposed they will have been to some of the negative comments and stereotypes about gays... and to find out later that their dad is gay may cause them to question how they feel about their dad. Scary stuff though.

9. Alywishous

My bro is 12 and doesn't know. I'm thinking I'll wait until he's 14 or 15 so he's mature enough to handle it and will know it may not be something everyone agree on. I also want him to be able to make his own opinion.

10. GuitarGirl1350

I know a 4 year old who knows what gay is. She has a gay uncle with a partner and a son. (I told this story in a thread, if anyone remembers.) They explain it in a simple way to her- Uncle loves Uncle's partner like mommy and daddy do. and that it's normal.
    *shrug* I don't know. It depends on the kid I guess.

11. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'm thinking of the 8 year olds I've had in my daycare and I think they would understand. I do however think you should talk with your parents some more and tell them exactly what you plan on saying to him. They may feel more comfortable knowing the details. I have a really good brochure from the National Mental Health Association. It is entitled: What Does Gay Mean? It has age-appropriate responses. It is attached here.

Attached Files:

#11 beckyg, May 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2007
  12. aprilblue426

i have 2 younger sisters, one's 14 and the other's 9. the 9 year old doesn't know, and i dont' think she needs to. at least not yet. the other one knows and, to my surprise, is totally ok w/ it and hasn't really, um, affected anything.

13. My sister's 11 and assuming I would ever come out I wouldn't tell her because she's the town crier....she'll let everyone she comes in contact with know and that would be terrible on a gargantuan scale.

14. who am I

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    you should talk to your parents about how you feel about it and come to sort of agreement on this

15. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I have now enabled PDF attachments and attached the document to Becky's post #11 above.

16. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was 8 years old, I knew perfectly what being homosexual meant, although I only knew the words "homosexual" and "fag" (I didn't know the words gay and lesbian). I didn't have anything against it, although I was totally straight (or better, asexual) then. My parents had simplified it as "a man who likes men" or "a woman who likes women". That was -then- not my case but I was cool with it.

17. Sam

Sam

well I talked to my mom about it a couple of days after I posted the thread and she said that if I had someone to introduce to them, that she would have no problem with him knowing about me and said even without a girlfriend that he will probably figure it out anyway but if he doesn't figure it out then I should tell him when he is about 12 or 13 unless of course I have a girlfriend who I want to introduce and then it would be whatever age even now so actually I think they have accepted it more now then when they said they don't want my brother knowing for a long time I just think that when they said not to tell him that they were still having a difficult time accepting me

18. Jim1454

BeckyG - thanks for the link to that document. I've saved a copy to read later. I'm sure it will come in handy.

19. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You are welcome! :slight_smile: