1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First post - advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Pvand, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Pvand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    so first post.

I'm gay, have know for... as long as I can remember. I find girls fun as friends but overall pretty yucky. I've accidentally let this slip once in High school and paid for the consequences but I digress.

I'm pretty closeted. I suspect my parents know, but I don't think they want to know. In the past my mom's said stuff like how she'd always love us if one of us were gay, but I've heard her say stuff about gay guys on TV that really made me wonder how she really feels. It's very two-faced.

My father's the kind of guy who would probaply say he doesn't care but that would be a lie. It's all about status to him. He'd most likely be ashamed of me in front of his high profile friends and business associates. He never says it but I know he looks at me as his smarter son. My brother, as much as I love him, has the ability to say the dumbest things and I feel he expects so much more from me wich I find unfair. So I fear the realisation that neither of us is as perfects as he wishes would send him into some sort of acute cardiac arrest. He's always very stressed and I'm afraid I'd somehow make it worse.

I really don't know what kind of advice I'm asking for here. I dread coming out, eventhough I know it would be for the better. I guess an easy way doesn't exsist.

I'm out to one friend. She asked me.. earlier this year I think. And I couldnt lie to her. Her father is gay... and a complete psycho who also has insanely high expectations. I've known her all my life as she lives next door. He left the family when we were about 4. It wasn't untill I was 10 I think that she told me it was because daddy wanted to be with another man. That has yet to happen. He's wasting away alone in his mansion, while his kids are turning his back because of how he's treated them. He demands high grades and wants to approve his daughters boyfriends. Long story short, he's insane and I thought my friends' opinion of me would change if she knew I was gay. Considering the other gay person in her life has been so terrible to her. She still loves me, wich is great. We don't talk about it, but we're dancing partners so that's gay enough I guess :lol:

anyway I'm from Holland. And though we were the first country to legalise gay marriage, homophobia is alive and kicking these days. Especially since the conservative christians have taken over the government. Because naturally us homos are a threat to the good ol' Dutch families! So I guess I also kind of dread living openly in an increasingly homophobic environment.

anyway, nice to vent a little. I usually don't write stuff down and the last few weeks it's just been piling up in my head to the point where I'm just screaming inside. And it's nice to do this in a second language on a forum.

thanks for reading/listening I guess.

edit: I just realised this is probaply the wrong section of the forum - sorry mods

#1 Pvand, Nov 2, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC! :wave:

Sorry you're getting some mixed messages from your family. Judging just by what you've said, I wouldn't worry too much about your parents. Not that you should rush out and tell them right now, but it sounds like they'd be cool with it. Maybe they wouldn't find it ideal, but I think they could handle the info.

Lex

3. InaRut

HELLO! I'm half dutch. On my dads side. So let me tell you it's WICKED that your on EC.

:slight_smile: Love the Dutch. So proud to be half dutch.

Okay now that's over. Parents are a curious thing. As I continue to learn. Basically they don't want to accept that their child could be gay, but they deep down morally believe that if it was true that they really want to help. So they don't want you to be gay, but they want to help you and love you if you were.

Just a bit of advice, if you do come out (and there is no rush) first make sure that no matter what happens you will love yourself and love your sexuality (That's why some people don't come out till they get a boyfriend--also easier to explain) and also make sure you do everything in your power to help them understand the truths of homosexuality.

But there is no rush. Do it when your ready. And welcome to EC. I'm the Walrus, and I'm kinda a big deal around here (LOL kidding)

4. Pvand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks both for the replies!

Parents are indeed a curious thing. I guess the mixed messages makes it hard to predict how they could react. And yeah I understand I should always love myself, wich is hard. I also don't plan to rush coming out.

oh and Walrus, a little shout out to Canada from this side of the world. I've been to Canada 3 times and I friggin love it there. Some Holland/Canada pride!

5. Jim1454

Hi there and welcome to EC!

First of all - you are not responsible for your parents' happiness. You are not responsible for living up to their expectations. All you can do is try your hardest and figure out what in life will make you happy. In the end, parents just want their kids to be happy. But they get some funny ideas as to how that is most likely to happen.

So take your time coming out to them or anyone else. Life isn't a race.

Hang around here in EC and you'll likely feel more and more comfotable with yourself and your orientation. That's what happened for me - which was great.

Again, welcome! (From another Canadian, but no Dutch ancesstry.)