1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanting to Come Out but Afraid Family and Friends will Not Accept

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Polyp, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Polyp

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello, sticky situation here:

I am 16 years old and living at home with my family. I have accepted myself as gay for a year now. I want to come out to my family, but it's more complex for me than just 'coming out':

My mom thinks that homosexuality is a sin.
    My dad thinks that homosexuality is a trend, a sin, and is disgusting.
    I am living with four siblings who totally agree with both of my parents, one of whom I know would try to 'cleanse me' of some 'evil' that he thinks I posess.
    I'd say at least 90% of the people at my school think that being gay is wrong.
    And most of the community that I'm associated with is against homosexuality.

So there's all this pressure to stay closeted from almost everyone around me.
    I must say, I have great friends, but coming out, I will have to lose most of them since they are too tied to what the people of the church have to say to accept me.

What's more, I rely on my family for moral support, and I might not have that if I come out to them. Knowing them, they would first freak out, then be disappointed in me, and finally not know what to do. We are all very close and at peace right now, and I will most definitely loose a lot of that closeness and strongly disrupt part of our relationships if I come out.

Our lives are already busy and complicated enough. I don't want to add more stress to all of us, but at the same time, I can't hide any longer.

I was thinking that I should try to sneak my way, against odds, to my local resource center so that I at least know some nearby people who won't dis me for telling the truth about myself.

I am in a funky pickle right now and am running low on time. :confused:

#1 Polyp, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  2. Dragons

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I came out to my parents because I wanted them to know
    they are exactly like Your parents
    It was terrible
    They won't let me go out with my friends and they think I'm secretly trying to find a boyfriend everywhere I go
    I was very depressed at the end of last year
    The only reason I came out was because I thought I had to or else I wasn't tough/strong.
    That was really stupid
    Pick Your battles right
    It wasn't worth it, coming out. Because it didn't make ANYTHING better
    Now falling out of the closet is a different story
    What are You gonna accomplish by coming out?
    Not much (well, in my case)
    The only reason I really see the need to come out is if You're in a relationship
    If I could do it all over again (which I can't so I don't stress over this), I would wait until I am older(19 or so), in college, and stable enough to do what I have to do without being too risky.
    I'm not saying don't be risky but just don't be stupid. Please.