1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will people think I'm a lier?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by badger, Feb 5, 2015.

1. badger

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If I come out, will people think of me as a lier because I have said things like "Oh, that girl is hot" or "I would get with her?" Or will people not think like that?

2. hat123

Not necessarily; most people might understand that you lie because you need to maintain your identity as a straight guy. Well but some people might be jerks so... Basically wishing that everyone will like you is pushing it a bit too far. As Jessie J says in her song Masterpiece : "Never mind, don't matter. Those who matter, don't mind." Oh, and all people have the right to think that a woman/ a man is hot, no matter what their sexuality is. Good luck!

3. indiqo

this.

people may not understand this but most are likely to.

4. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most people will understand.
    The small number that don't are jerks and don't deserve your friendship.

Take your time, initially come out to people you trust and only when you are ready!

Best of luck! (*hug*)

5. perplicatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I worry about this, too. Although I have told a couple of close friends, I still have a wider circle of folks whom I am keeping in the dark. I had lunch with a buddy yesterday from that wider circle, and he was joking around with me in his usual "bro" straight guy way about girls and stuff, and I found myself just playing along as usual, though with an extra dose of guilt.

I feel bad because I feel like we are becoming closer friends. Someday when I do tell him, I hope that he can understand that it wasn't that I didn't trust him, that it was just that I was afraid to be authentic.

6. Wildside

Wildside Guest

most people will just take you at your word, and congratulate you on your courage. not everyone will be supportive, and there may be those who try to throw out the evidence that you're really not gay because you said some girl was hot. hopefully not, but there are all kinds of people, and all kinds of reactions. the important thing is that when you tell people you're gay, you're out. whether they believe it or not is their issue, and we can't really make people thing one way or the other. but one way or the other, the pressure will be off of you because you won't have to live the lie any more.

7. panlove0705

You know what I have to say to that? Fuck em. If they don't believe you that's a personal problem of theirs not yours. It is never cool to invalidate someone about their sexuality/gender identity. Don't worry about what they think, just live you life, be happy, and they will either get over it or continue being ignorant. In which case you don't need them anyway.

8. Wildside

Wildside Guest

that! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: